Trig Substitution for ∫x^3/(4x^2+9)^(3/2): Solving the Insanity

In summary, the conversation discusses a trig substitution integral and the process of substituting values for x in the numerator and denominator. There is some confusion about the substitution process, but it is clarified that the agreed upon value for x is used in the denominator. The conversation also mentions alternative methods for solving the integral.
GraceLee
∫x3
----------------------
(4x2 + 9) 3/2

According to my book this is a trig substitution integral. The normal procedure is to substitute atanθ for x when one has a square root w an argument of the form x^2 + a^2. Because the argument of the square root is 4x2 + 9, as opposed to simply x2 +9, the book suggests substituting 2x for x, hence instead of substituting 3tanθ for x- you sub 3/2tanθ. That much makes sense to me. The part that is driving me insane is that the book goes on to complete the trig substitution by substituting this x value (3/2 tanθ) for x in the numerator (ok), substituting 3/2sec2θdθ for dx (ok)... however in the denominator, they write √(4x^2 +9) = √9tan^2θ +9 = 3secθ. That's not substituting the "agreed upon" value of x (i.e., 3/2tanθ) it's just substituting 3tanθ! This is my first post and I'm no math genius so I'm certain I'm just not comprehending something but I've been stuck on this for a while and it's driving me nuts! Any help would greatly appreciated- I hope this post is fairly intelligible.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Grace, don't worry the post is legible - just plug the substitution into the denominator to see they are substituting in the agreed upon value for x:

[itex] \sqrt{4x^2+9} = \sqrt{4(\tfrac{3}{2}\tan(\theta))^2+9} = [/itex]
[itex]\sqrt{4(\tfrac{9}{4}\tan^2(\theta)) +9} = \sqrt{9 \tan^2(\theta) +9} = \sqrt{9 (\tan^2(\theta) +1)} = 3 \sqrt{\tan^2(\theta) +1} = 3 \sqrt{\sec^2(\theta)} = 3\sec (\theta)[/itex]

I think you just forgot to write a [itex]4[/itex] in one step & got confused as a result of this. Also, this & this link show you that you don't have to use trig substitutions in this case necessarily, if you're interested :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is "Trig Substitution Insanity" and why is it important in science?

"Trig Substitution Insanity" is a mathematical technique used to solve complex integrals involving trigonometric functions. It is important in science because many physical phenomena can be described using trigonometric functions, and being able to solve these integrals accurately is crucial in understanding and predicting these phenomena.

2. How does "Trig Substitution Insanity" work?

Trig substitution involves using trigonometric identities to rewrite an integral in terms of a single trigonometric function. This allows us to use trigonometric identities and techniques to solve the integral. The substitution is then reversed to get the final answer in terms of the original variable.

3. When should "Trig Substitution Insanity" be used?

"Trig Substitution Insanity" should be used when solving integrals involving trigonometric functions, especially when the integrand contains a combination of trigonometric functions that cannot be easily integrated using other techniques such as u-substitution or integration by parts.

4. Are there any common pitfalls when using "Trig Substitution Insanity"?

Yes, there are a few common pitfalls when using "Trig Substitution Insanity". One is incorrectly choosing the trigonometric substitution, which can lead to an incorrect solution. Another is making algebraic mistakes when rewriting the integral in terms of the substituted variable. It is important to double check all steps and make sure the final answer makes sense in the context of the problem.

5. Can "Trig Substitution Insanity" be used in other areas of science besides mathematics?

Yes, "Trig Substitution Insanity" can be used in other areas of science such as physics and engineering. Many physical phenomena, such as oscillations and waves, can be described using trigonometric functions and therefore require the use of "Trig Substitution Insanity" to accurately solve integrals and equations.