Integrate √1+x^2 - Solutions & Explanations

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of integrating ∫(√1+x^2)dx/(x) using trigonometric substitution. The suggested approach is to substitute x = atanΘ and use dx = sec^2ΘdΘ. However, the individual's attempted solution using u substitution and breaking down sec^3Θ/tanΘ into sines and cosines was not successful. The suggestion is to try multiplying by sin(Θ) and using u = cos(Θ) or to use a hyperbolic trig substitution.
Nathan Wygal
1. The problem is as follows: ∫(√1+x^2)dx/(x) 2. Using trig sub --> x = atanΘ with a = √1 = 1. So x = tanΘ and dx = sec^2ΘdΘ. 3. Picture included of attempted solution. I tried u substitution with both u = secΘ and u=tanΘ but didn't have the right du. I then tried breaking the sec^3Θ/tanΘ (second to last step shown in work) into sines and cosines but, once again, no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Note: I hope the format of my question is adequate this time. Sorry for the last post.

Attachments

• IMG_20160320_161936100 (1).jpg
    IMG_20160320_161936100 (1).jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 371
Physics news on Phys.org
As I previously suggested, try multiplying numerator and denominator by ## \sin(\theta) ## and letting ## u=\cos(\theta) ## after a little algebra. (e.g. ## \sin^2(\theta)=1-\cos^2(\theta)) ## Then try using partial fractions to get the integral expression involving "u" in workable form.

You could also try a hyperbolic trig substititution: ##x = \sinh u##.

1. What is the meaning of "Integrate √1+x^2"?

The expression "Integrate √1+x^2" means to find the antiderivative of the function √1+x^2. In other words, it involves finding a function whose derivative is equal to √1+x^2.

2. How do you solve "Integrate √1+x^2"?

To solve "Integrate √1+x^2", we can use the substitution method or the trigonometric substitution method. The substitution method involves substituting u = 1 + x^2 and then finding the antiderivative of √u. The trigonometric substitution method involves substituting x = tanθ and then using trigonometric identities to simplify the integral.

3. Why is it important to integrate functions?

Integrating functions is important because it allows us to find the area under a curve, which has many real-world applications. It also helps us to solve differential equations and find the total change in a quantity over a given period of time.

4. What are the common mistakes made when integrating √1+x^2?

One common mistake is forgetting to add the constant of integration when using the substitution method. Another mistake is not properly simplifying the integral after using the trigonometric substitution method. Additionally, forgetting to use the chain rule when integrating the resulting trigonometric functions can also lead to errors.

5. How can I practice and improve my skills in integrating functions?

The best way to practice and improve your skills in integrating functions is to solve a variety of integrals using different methods. You can also try using online resources or textbooks to find a wide range of integrals to solve. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can also be beneficial in improving your skills.