Calculate the Height of a High Rise Building with Trig Word Problem

• Thread starter aisha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, Jennie is standing 30 m away from a high rise building with an angle of elevation of 70° to the top of the tower. If her eyes are 1.8 m above the ground, the tower's height can be calculated by using the tangent function. The tower's height is approximately 84.22 m. While some may consider 1.9 m or taller to be "giant," this is not necessarily the case and can be considered offensive.
aisha
Jennie stands 30 m from the base of a high rise building. The angle of elevation from her eyes to the top of the tower is 70°. How high is the tower if her eyes are 1.8 m above the ground?

Is the answer to this 82.42 m + 1.8m=84.22 m?

Physics news on Phys.org
tan(70) = x/30 = 82.42

82.42 + 1.8 = 84.22

Yup

phreak said:
tan(70) = x/30 = 82.42

82.42 + 1.8 = 84.22

Yup

Your first equation doensn't make any logical sense... :grumpy:
[tex]\tan 70°=\frac{h}{30}\sim 2.747 \Rightarrow h\sim 2.747\cdot 30=82.415m [/tex]
Total height:approx.84.2 m.

Daniel.

PS.1.80m to her eyes,almost 1.90m in all:that's a giant *****...! :tongue2:

aisha said:
Jennie stands 30 m from the base of a high rise building. The angle of elevation from her eyes to the top of the tower is 70°. How high is the tower if her eyes are 1.8 m above the ground?

Is the answer to this 82.42 m + 1.8m=84.22 m?

[tex]Tan \Psi = \frac {Opp}{Adj}[/tex]

[tex]Tan 70 = \frac {x}{30}[/tex]

[tex]x = Tan70 \times 30[/tex]

[tex]x = 82.42[/tex]

Then add 1.8m becaue of her eye level:

[tex]y = 82.42 + 1.8[/tex]

[tex]y = 84.22m[/tex]

Therefore I say you are right in what you originally said.

The Bob (2004 ©)

P.S. Well my eye level is about 1.95m :tongue2:

1.9 meters is not a giant...
its about 6 feet 3 inches...
im 6' exactly

qweretyq said:
1.9 meters is not a giant...
its about 6 feet 3 inches...
im 6' exactly
If you check my post above I said that my eye level was about 1.95m (probably more now :tongue2:) and I am not a giant. Just rather tall.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Since I'm only 1.71,i feel quite uncomfortable when a lady next to me is towering 20 cm more...Bob,if u were near a girl at 2.15,u'd feel the same way... :tongue2:

Daniel.

1.90 meters is very tall for a girl, too tall, in fact. I'd say that she's "deformed."

Last edited:
dextercioby said:
Since I'm only 1.71,i feel quite uncomfortable when a lady next to me is towering 20 cm more...Bob,if u were near a girl at 2.15,u'd feel the same way... :tongue2:
I most likely would but you find a female 2.15m :tongue2:

I have met a female almost as tall as me, two infact, and you do wonder why or how. Then you think why or how you are that tall as well.

The Bob (2004 ©)

iodmys said:
I'd say that she's "deformed."
A little harsh really.

The Bob (2004 ©)

1. How do you calculate the height of a high rise building using trigonometry?

To calculate the height of a high rise building using trigonometry, we need to use the tangent function. First, we need to measure the angle of elevation from the ground to the top of the building. Then, we can use the tangent function (opposite/adjacent) to find the height of the building.

2. What measurements are needed to calculate the height of a high rise building using trigonometry?

To calculate the height of a high rise building using trigonometry, we need to measure the angle of elevation from the ground to the top of the building and the distance from the base of the building to where the angle is being measured. These two measurements are necessary to use the tangent function to find the height of the building.

3. Can trigonometry be used to calculate the height of any high rise building?

Yes, trigonometry can be used to calculate the height of any high rise building as long as we have the necessary measurements. However, it is important to note that there may be some limitations, such as extreme weather conditions or obstacles blocking the view of the top of the building, which may affect the accuracy of the calculation.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using trigonometry to calculate the height of a high rise building?

One common mistake to avoid is using the wrong angle or distance measurements. It is important to make sure that the angle of elevation is measured from the ground to the top of the building, and the distance is measured from the base of the building to where the angle is being measured. Another mistake to avoid is using the wrong trigonometric function. In this case, we need to use the tangent function, not sine or cosine.

5. Are there any other methods for calculating the height of a high rise building?

Yes, there are other methods for calculating the height of a high rise building, such as using a measuring tape, laser rangefinder, or even drones. However, trigonometry is often preferred as it can be used from a safe distance and does not require any physical measurements on the building itself.