Trigonoemtric Identity

• Thread starter basty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Identity
In summary: The identity is ##sin^2(\text{whatever}) + cos^2(\text{whatever}) = 1##. Do you see how this fits with the questions you asked in post #1?In summary, the equation for ##\sin (a)## is the following:It's not - there's a radical that's missing. It should be##\sin (a) = \frac{y}{\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}}##
basty
Why ##\sin^2 2x + \cos^2 2x = 1##?

Will

##\sin^2 3x + \cos^2 3x##

or

##\sin^2 4x + \cos^2 4x##

and so on, be = 1?

How to proof this?

Physics news on Phys.org
You know the definitions of the functions sin(x) and cos(x); you also are familiar with the Pythagorean theorem.

Bystander said:
You know the definitions of the functions sin(x) and cos(x); you also are familiar with the Pythagorean theorem.

I am familiar with the Pythagorean theorem but I don't know the definitions of the functions sin(x) and cos(x).

Explain please.

You have got to be kidding me. Given a right triangle, we'll plot its vertices on Cartesian coordinates (0,0), (1,0), and (1,y) where y = 0 to +∞, and the interior angle at (0,0), α = 0 to 90°, or 0 to π/2 radians, sin(α) ≡ y/(x2 + y2)1/2, or the ratio of the length of the side of the triangle opposite ∠α to the length of the hypotenuse of the right triangle. cos(α) ≡ the ratio of the length of the base of the triangle, x, to the length of the hypotenuse.

Now, give it a try.

Edited to include sqrt --- my bad.

Last edited:
Bystander said:
You have got to be kidding me. Given a right triangle, we'll plot its vertices on Cartesian coordinates (0,0), (1,0), and (1,y) where y = 0 to +∞, and the interior angle at (0,0), α = 0 to 90°, or 0 to π/2 radians, sin(α) ≡ y/(x2 + y2), or the ratio of the length of the side of the triangle opposite ∠α to the length of the hypotenuse of the right triangle. cos(α) ≡ the ratio of the length of the base of the triangle, x, to the length of the hypotenuse.

Now, give it a try.

Why ##\sin (a) = \frac{y}{x^2 + y^2}##?

The identity is ##sin^2(\text{whatever}) + cos^2(\text{whatever}) = 1##. Do you see how this fits with the questions you asked in post #1?
basty said:
Why ##\sin (a) = \frac{y}{x^2 + y^2}##?
It's not - there's a radical that's missing. It should be
##\sin (a) = \frac{y}{\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}}##

If you don't understand where that comes from, you need to review right triangle trigonometry.

Related to Trigonoemtric Identity

What is a trigonometric identity?

A trigonometric identity is an equation that is true for all values of the variables involved. It relates different trigonometric functions to each other and can be used to simplify expressions and solve equations.

What is the most commonly used trigonometric identity?

The most commonly used trigonometric identity is the Pythagorean identity: sin²θ + cos²θ = 1. This relationship between the sine and cosine functions is used to derive many other identities and is essential in solving trigonometric equations.

How are trigonometric identities used in real life?

Trigonometric identities are used in various fields, including engineering, physics, and astronomy. They are particularly useful in solving problems involving angles and periodic functions, such as calculating the trajectory of a projectile or the behavior of waves.

What is the difference between a trigonometric identity and a trigonometric equation?

A trigonometric identity is an equation that is true for all values of the variables, while a trigonometric equation is an equation that may have specific solutions for the variables. Trigonometric identities are often used to simplify trigonometric equations and make them easier to solve.

How can I remember all the different trigonometric identities?

The best way to remember trigonometric identities is through practice. As you solve more problems involving these identities, you will become more familiar with them. You can also use mnemonic devices or create a cheat sheet with the most commonly used identities to help you memorize them.