Finding Phase Shift in Trigonometric Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the phase shift using trigonometric equations and manipulating them to get an arctan. The solution involves dividing the in-phase term by the out-of-phase term and using the arctan function.
Fluidman117
Hello,

Probably a simple problem, but I am not able to figure it out.

[tex] a \cos (\epsilon) - b \sin (\epsilon) = c [/tex] in-phase part
[tex] a \sin (\epsilon) - b \cos (\epsilon) = d [/tex] out-of-phase part

In order to find the phase shift, the in-phase term has to be divided by the out-of-phase term?

[tex] \frac{a \cos (\epsilon) - b \sin (\epsilon) = c}{a \sin (\epsilon) - b \cos (\epsilon) = d} [/tex]

And the phase shift is the arctan of the out of phase and the in-phase term to my knowledge. But I am not able to manipulate the formula in a way that I'll get to an arctan. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
$$ a \cos x + b \sin x = \sqrt {a^2 + b^2 } ( \frac a {\sqrt {a^2 + b^2} } \cos x + b \frac b {\sqrt {a^2 + b^2} } \sin x)
\\ = \sqrt {a^2 + b^2 } ( \sin c \cos x + \cos c \sin x) = \ ...
$$

1. What is trigonometric manipulation?

Trigonometric manipulation is the process of simplifying or manipulating trigonometric expressions or equations in order to solve for unknowns or to make them easier to work with.

2. What are the basic trigonometric identities?

The basic trigonometric identities include the Pythagorean identities, sum and difference identities, double angle identities, and half angle identities. These identities are used to manipulate trigonometric expressions and equations.

3. How do I use trigonometric manipulation to solve equations?

To solve equations using trigonometric manipulation, you can start by applying the basic identities to simplify the equation. Then, use algebraic manipulation to isolate the unknown variable and solve for it. Remember to check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation.

4. Is there a specific order or rules to follow when manipulating trigonometric expressions?

Yes, there are certain rules and guidelines to follow when manipulating trigonometric expressions. These include using the basic identities, simplifying fractions, clearing fractions, and using substitution when necessary. It is important to always check your work and make sure you are following the correct steps.

5. How can I apply trigonometric manipulation in real-world situations?

Trigonometric manipulation is used in many real-world situations, such as in navigation, engineering, and physics. It can be used to solve for unknown distances, angles, or forces in various scenarios. It is also used in fields such as astronomy and surveying to calculate distances and angles between objects.