Trigonometry Expansion: Expanding cos(8x) Using sin(2⋅x) or cos(2x)

In summary, the question is asking you to use the given formulas to expand cos(8x) in terms of either sin(2x) or cos(2x). This can be done by substituting cos(8x) as cos^2(4x) - sin^2(4x) and then expanding further using the given formulas for sin(2x) and cos(2x).
Panphobia

Homework Statement

We know that sin(2⋅x)=2⋅sin(x)⋅cos(x)and cos(2x)=cos^2(x)−sin^2(x). Use the appropriate formula to expand cos(8x) in terms of one of these two formulas.

Homework Equations

sin(2⋅x)=2⋅sin(x)⋅cos(x)
cos(2x)=cos^2(x)−sin^2(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not looking for help with the solution, I just want to know what the question is asking me to do. Is it asking me to sub cos(8x) into these equations like cos(8x) = cos^2(4x) - sin^2(4x)? If not what is it asking me to do?

Thank You!

Physics news on Phys.org
Panphobia said:

Homework Statement

We know that sin(2⋅x)=2⋅sin(x)⋅cos(x)and cos(2x)=cos^2(x)−sin^2(x). Use the appropriate formula to expand cos(8x) in terms of one of these two formulas.

Homework Equations

sin(2⋅x)=2⋅sin(x)⋅cos(x)
cos(2x)=cos^2(x)−sin^2(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not looking for help with the solution, I just want to know what the question is asking me to do. Is it asking me to sub cos(8x) into these equations like cos(8x) = cos^2(4x) - sin^2(4x)?
Yes. Now do the same sort of thing on the cos(4x) and sin(4x) terms.

Note that the notation cos2(4x) means [cos(4x)]2, and similar for sin2(4x).
Panphobia said:
If not what is it asking me to do?

Thank You!

1. What is Trigonometry expansion?

Trigonometry expansion is a mathematical process used to expand trigonometric expressions into equivalent forms, typically using trigonometric identities and properties.

2. Why is Trigonometry expansion important?

Trigonometry expansion is important because it allows us to simplify and manipulate trigonometric expressions, making them easier to solve and work with in various mathematical problems and applications.

3. What are some common trigonometric identities used in Trigonometry expansion?

Some common trigonometric identities used in Trigonometry expansion include the Pythagorean identities, sum and difference identities, double angle identities, and half angle identities.

4. How do you expand a trigonometric expression using Trigonometry expansion?

To expand a trigonometric expression, we use algebraic manipulation and the trigonometric identities to rewrite the expression in a different form that is equivalent to the original expression.

5. What are some real-life applications of Trigonometry expansion?

Trigonometry expansion has many real-life applications, such as in engineering, physics, and navigation. It is used to solve problems involving angles, distances, and forces, and to model various periodic phenomena.