1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trigonometry problem

1. Mar 27, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The lines L1 and L2 with equations y=2x and 3y=x-1 respectively,are drawn on the same set of axes. Given that the scales are the same on both axes and that the angle L1 and L2 make with the positive x-asis are A and B respectively,

write down the value of Tan A and the value of Tan B

2. Relevant equations
    Tan=O/A

3. The attempt at a solution

I've figured out tanA which is 2. Why? It doesn't matter what value of x you substitute into L1 you'll always get 2 when you do O which is Y divide by A which is X. I'm using tan=o/a. But, I do not know how to get tan B; it isn't the same thing.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2015 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The general (or standard) equation for a straight line is y = mx + c where

m is the slope = Δy/Δx = Tanθ
    and c is a constant.

So comparing that with y=2x it's clear that m=2 (and c=0).

I suggest you rearrange the other equation (3y=x-1) into the standard form for a straight line and work out the slope m.

4. Mar 27, 2015 #3
    Δy/Δx = Tanθ << Ahh you're right. I never noticed even though I used the same method.Silly me. Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted