Trigonometry question, Finding coordinates of 3rd point

In summary, to find the coordinates of the missing point B in a triangle with known angles and sides, follow these steps: 1. Sketch the triangle on the xy-axes and label the points A, B, and C. 2. Find the equations of the lines AC and BC. 3. Extend the line AC until it intersects the x-axis and find the angle θ between AC and the positive x-axis. 4. Use tanθ to find the gradient of AC. 5. Repeat for line BC. 6. Set up and solve a system of equations to find the coordinates of B. Alternatively, you can: 1. Find the slope of line AC. 2. Use arctan
yopy
Heres the situation, I have a triangle in which i found all 3 interior angles. I also have the length of all the sides and the coordinates of 2 points. I just need to find the coordinates of the 3rd point I am missing. Is there some formula i need to use for this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sketch the triangle on the xy-axes. Call your points ABC, with B being the unknown. Then find the equation of the line AC and line BC.

Take the line AC and extend until it cuts the x-axis, find the angle θ between AC and the positive x-axis (so you are measuring the angle to the line counter-clockwise). tanθ will give you the gradient of AC.

Repeat for BC.

Solve your two equations and you'll get the coordinates of B!

An alternative:

Let A and C be known. Objective: find coordinates of B.

(1) Find the slope of the line AC. Call it m.
(2) Let t = arctan(m). (t may be negative and that's ok)
(3) Add the angle measure for A to t to get the gradient to B. Call the sum u.
(4) Find x1 = (AB)cos(u) and y1 = (AB)sin(u) and add these to the coordinates of A respectively to find the coordinates of B.

I believe this works.

--Elucidus

EDIT: A should be to the left of C (x-axis-wise).

Last edited:

1. What is trigonometry and how is it used to find coordinates of a third point?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. It can be used to find the coordinates of a third point by using the properties of right triangles and the trigonometric ratios sine, cosine, and tangent.

2. What information do I need to know in order to find the coordinates of a third point using trigonometry?

In order to find the coordinates of a third point using trigonometry, you will need to know the coordinates of two other points and the distances between them. This information can be used to create a right triangle, which is necessary for using trigonometric ratios.

3. Can I use trigonometry to find the coordinates of a third point in any type of triangle?

Yes, trigonometry can be used to find the coordinates of a third point in any type of triangle, as long as you have enough information about the triangle to create a right triangle. This means knowing the lengths of at least two sides and one angle of the triangle.

4. Is there a specific formula or method for finding the coordinates of a third point using trigonometry?

Yes, there are several formulas and methods that can be used to find the coordinates of a third point using trigonometry. One common method is using the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric ratios to solve for the missing coordinates. Other methods involve using the Law of Sines or the Law of Cosines.

5. Are there any common mistakes to watch out for when using trigonometry to find the coordinates of a third point?

One common mistake when using trigonometry to find the coordinates of a third point is not setting up the triangle correctly. It is important to make sure that the right triangle being used is in the correct orientation and that the sides and angles are labeled correctly. Another mistake is using the wrong trigonometric ratio for the given information, so it is important to double-check the calculations to ensure accuracy.