1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trigonometry question, Finding coordinates of 3rd point

1. Aug 27, 2009 #1
    Heres the situation, I have a triangle in which i found all 3 interior angles. I also have the length of all the sides and the coordinates of 2 points. I just need to find the coordinates of the 3rd point im missing. Is there some formula i need to use for this?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Sketch the triangle on the xy-axes. Call your points ABC, with B being the unknown. Then find the equation of the line AC and line BC.

Take the line AC and extend until it cuts the x-axis, find the angle θ between AC and the positive x-axis (so you are measuring the angle to the line counter-clockwise). tanθ will give you the gradient of AC.

Repeat for BC.

Solve your two equations and you'll get the coordinates of B!

4. Aug 28, 2009 #3
    An alternative:

Let A and C be known. Objective: find coordinates of B.

(1) Find the slope of the line AC. Call it m.
    (2) Let t = arctan(m). (t may be negative and that's ok)
    (3) Add the angle measure for A to t to get the gradient to B. Call the sum u.
    (4) Find x1 = (AB)cos(u) and y1 = (AB)sin(u) and add these to the coordinates of A respectively to find the coordinates of B.

I believe this works.

--Elucidus

EDIT: A should be to the left of C (x-axis-wise).

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook