Visualizing Regions in Triple Integrals

• Thread starter WannaBe22
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is trying to figure out how the region A looks like, and the solution is to use dzdydx to integrate.
WannaBe22

Homework Statement

Hey there, I'll be delighted to get some help in the following question:
Let A be the region in space bounded by the next planes:
[tex] x=1[/tex], [tex]x=2[/tex], [tex]x-y+1=0[/tex],
[tex]x-2y=2[/tex], [tex]x+y-z=0[/tex] , [tex]z=0[/tex]...

Write the integral [tex] \int \int \int_{A} f(x,y,z) dxdydz [/tex] as shown in the theorem above.

The problem is I can't figure out how the region A looks like...
Hope you'll be able to help me dealing with this question...

Thanks in advance

Homework Equations

Let E be a closed region with a surface in R^2 and let [tex] g^1, g^2[/tex] be two real functions, continuous in E. Let's look at A:
[tex] A=( (x,y,z)|(x,y) \in E, g^1(x,y)\leq z \leq g^2(x,y) [/tex]. Then if f is a continuous function with 3 variables, continuous in A, then:
[tex] \int \int \int_{A} f(x,y,z) dxdydz = \int \int_{E} (\int_{g^1(x,y)}^{g^2(x,y)} f(x,y,z)dz) dxdy [/tex]...

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a picture to help you get started. It isn't to scale; the x-axis is stretched. You will need to be careful with your limits, especially if you are required to do x first. The top plane is in red, the bottom in brown, and the others are "see through".

volume.jpg

WannaBe22 said:

The problem is I can't figure out how the region A looks like...

Perhaps it would help if you wrote the equations as:

[tex] x=1[/tex]
[tex]x=2[/tex]

[tex]y=2x+1[/tex]
[tex]y=1/2x-1[/tex]

[tex]z=0[/tex]
[tex]z=x+y[/tex]

Those are all actually surfaces in 3D space. Can you just make rough sketches of those using the standard "isometric" axes: horizontal x-axis, diagonal y-axis into the page, and vertical z-axis. You know what I mean. For example, using that axis setup, for the first two, I would just draw a straight line at x=1 parallel to the y-axis, then another one parallel but at x=2. Now, using that same setup, draw a line y=2x+1. That going to start at the point (0,1), then another point at say (2,3) but draw it using that isometric axes. If you don't know what that is, try and find out. Do the same for y=1/2x-1. Keep in mind these are all surfaces and we're just drawing the cross-section at z=0. Try and understand that, then try and learn to draw it in Mathematica or other software.

Also, any chance you typed the differentials incorrectly? That looks way difficult that way but is much easier as dzdydx. Looks to me anyway. :)

Last edited:
Hey there,

I'm not sure if I'm right, but the answer might be:
[tex]
E=( (x,y) | 1 \le x \le 2 , 1+\frac{x}{2} \le y \le 1+x ) [/tex]
[tex] g^1(x,y)=0,g^2(x,y)=x+y [/tex] ? (In the wording of the theorem I've quoted)

Am I right?

Thanks !

I drew it and the way it looks to me, to solve it using a single triple integral, you have to solve it using dzdydx. Now you have the limits for x and z correct for doing it that way but not for y. Integrate first in the z direction from zero to the surface z=x+y, then integrate in the y-direction between the lines y=1/2x-1 to the line y=2x+1, then finally integrate in the x-direction between the points 1 and 2. For example, if f(x,y,z) is one, then I get for the volume of the region 117/8.

Yes but I don't need to solve or calculate anything-just to write the triple integral in the way the theorem I've quoted does...
This specific integral is of course :
[tex] \int_{0}^{x+y} dz \int_{0.5x-1}^{x+1}dy /int_{1}^{2} f(x,y,z)dx [/tex] ...But in the theorem I've quoted we need to find a region E and two function g1&g2...

Hope you'll be able to verify my calculation above

Thanks

Nvm...I understand it now

Thanks a lot!

What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is a type of mathematical calculation used in multivariable calculus. It involves integrating a three-dimensional function over a three-dimensional region in space.

What is the purpose of using triple integrals?

The main purpose of using triple integrals is to find the volume of three-dimensional objects or to calculate the mass, center of mass, and moments of inertia of three-dimensional objects.

How is a triple integral different from a regular integral?

A regular integral is a single integral that involves integrating a one-dimensional function over a one-dimensional interval. A triple integral involves integrating a three-dimensional function over a three-dimensional region in space.

What is the process for solving a triple integral?

The process for solving a triple integral involves breaking down the three-dimensional region into smaller, simpler shapes, setting up the integral in terms of these shapes, and then solving each integral in the correct order.

What are some real-world applications of triple integrals?

Triple integrals have various real-world applications, such as calculating the volume of a solid object, finding the mass of a three-dimensional object with a varying density, determining the center of mass of an irregularly shaped object, and calculating the moment of inertia of an object about a given axis.