1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triple Integral Cartesian Coordinates

1. Mar 6, 2012 #1
    Ok I have a quick question. I have this problem that is doable with polar coordinates and triple integrals but I was wondering if it would be possible to do this problem in the cartesian coordinate system (odd question I know...).
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A sprinkler distributes water in a circular pattern, supplying water to a depth of e^(-r) feet per hour at a distance of r feet from the sprinkler.

A. What is the total amount of water supplied per hour inside of a circle of radius 10?
    2pi-2pie^(-10)
    B. What is the total amount of water that goes throught the sprinkler per hour?
    2pi

2. Relevant equations
    Just integration techniques I guess. pi*R^2 is the equation for a circle area. x^2+y^2=100 is the equation in standard form for this circle.

3. The attempt at a solution

Here's where I get lost. In cartesian coordinates the bounds for the resulting double integral should be 0<=y<=sqrt(100-x^2) and 0<=x<=10, right? Then from there I take the double integral of the equation of the circle and...?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

EDIT: Should I take the double integral of pi(x^2+y^2) with the bounds I have above? or is that wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Those bounds would be for a quarter of the circle. You could use those limits and multiply the answer by 4. But your integrand would be ##e^{-r}=e^{-\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}##. I don't think anyone would want to work it in rectangular coordinates. If you really must try it, you might have success with a trig substitution on the inside integral. Not sure, I haven't tried it.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  4. Mar 6, 2012 #3
    Wait, why would those limits only be for a quarter of the circle?

5. Mar 6, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Because your limits have both x and y positive.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook