1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triple Integral in Cartesian Coordinates

1. Nov 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use a triple integral to find the volume of the solid enclosed by the paraboloid [tex]x=y^2+z^2[/tex] and the plane [tex]x=16[/tex]
    Note: The triple integral must be performed in Cartesian coordinates.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I calculated the answer numerically using Mathematica (see attached PDF). I've also included a 3D graph to help with visualization. I calculated the answer to be [tex]128\pi[/tex], but I have no idea how to set up the integral. I'm guessing the argument of the integral will simply be 1, but I don't know how to construct the bounds.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The parabaloid opens to the right, so x runs from 0 to 16....Try expressing the z bounds in terms of y and x...for a given x and y, what is the minimum z and maximum z-value in the region?

4. Nov 9, 2008 #3
    [tex]z=\sqrt{x-y^2}[/tex]
    The maximum value for z would be [tex]z=\sqrt{16-y^2}[/tex].
    The minimum value for z would be 0.
    Okay, so I have my x and z bounds, but what do I use for my y bound?

5. Nov 9, 2008 #4
    Post Deleted.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  6. Nov 9, 2008 #5

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Don't you mean [tex]z=\pm \sqrt{x-y^2}[/tex]? :wink:....and you don't want the absolute max and mins for z, you want the max/min for each x,y....which is just [tex]z=- \sqrt{x-y^2}[/tex] for the min, and [tex]z=+ \sqrt{x-y^2}[/tex] for the max....this means that when you integrate over z, you end up with a function of x and y....then you want to integrate over y....what is the boundary of the region in just the x-y plane (ie for z=0)?...what does that mean the max/min of y is for a given value of x?

7. Nov 9, 2008 #6
    Good point about the z bounds. So should I use [tex]y=\pm\sqrt{16}[/tex] for my y bounds?

8. Nov 9, 2008 #7

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

IF x were always 16, then yes, but for any x, wouldn't you want to use [itex]y=\pm \sqrt{x}[/itex] ? And so when you integrate over y, you get a function of x which you then integrate from 0 to 16....your integral is:

[tex]V=\int_{\mathcal{V}} dV= \int_0^{16} \int_{-\sqrt{x}}^{\sqrt{x}} \int_{-\sqrt{x-y^2}}^{\sqrt{x-y^2}} dxdydz[/tex]

....do you follow?

9. Nov 9, 2008 #8
    Post Deleted.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  10. Nov 9, 2008 #9
    Post Deleted.

11. Nov 9, 2008 #10
    [tex]\int _0^{16}\int _{-\sqrt{x}}^{\sqrt{x}}\int _{-\sqrt{x-y^2}}^{\sqrt{x-y^2}}1dzdydx = 128\pi[/tex]

It works beautifully! Thanks again for your help!

12. Nov 9, 2008 #11

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No problem :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?