Triple Integral in Cartesian Coordinates

In summary, the volume of the solid enclosed by the paraboloid x=y^2+z^2 and the plane x=16 can be found by using a triple integral in Cartesian coordinates with the following bounds: x from 0 to 16, y from -sqrt(x) to sqrt(x), and z from -sqrt(x-y^2) to sqrt(x-y^2). The resulting integral is equal to 128pi.
daveyman

Homework Statement

Use a triple integral to find the volume of the solid enclosed by the paraboloid [tex]x=y^2+z^2[/tex] and the plane [tex]x=16[/tex]
Note: The triple integral must be performed in Cartesian coordinates.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the answer numerically using Mathematica (see attached PDF). I've also included a 3D graph to help with visualization. I calculated the answer to be [tex]128\pi[/tex], but I have no idea how to set up the integral. I'm guessing the argument of the integral will simply be 1, but I don't know how to construct the bounds.

Attachments

• Numeric Solution.pdf
    71 KB · Views: 315
Physics news on Phys.org
The parabaloid opens to the right, so x runs from 0 to 16...Try expressing the z bounds in terms of y and x...for a given x and y, what is the minimum z and maximum z-value in the region?

[tex]z=\sqrt{x-y^2}[/tex]
The maximum value for z would be [tex]z=\sqrt{16-y^2}[/tex].
The minimum value for z would be 0.
Okay, so I have my x and z bounds, but what do I use for my y bound?

Post Deleted.

Last edited:
daveyman said:
[tex]z=\sqrt{x-y^2}[/tex]
The maximum value for z would be [tex]z=\sqrt{16-y^2}[/tex]
What do I use for y?

Don't you mean [tex]z=\pm \sqrt{x-y^2}[/tex]? :wink:...and you don't want the absolute max and mins for z, you want the max/min for each x,y...which is just [tex]z=- \sqrt{x-y^2}[/tex] for the min, and [tex]z=+ \sqrt{x-y^2}[/tex] for the max...this means that when you integrate over z, you end up with a function of x and y...then you want to integrate over y...what is the boundary of the region in just the x-y plane (ie for z=0)?...what does that mean the max/min of y is for a given value of x?

Good point about the z bounds. So should I use [tex]y=\pm\sqrt{16}[/tex] for my y bounds?

IF x were always 16, then yes, but for any x, wouldn't you want to use [itex]y=\pm \sqrt{x}[/itex] ? And so when you integrate over y, you get a function of x which you then integrate from 0 to 16...your integral is:

[tex]V=\int_{\mathcal{V}} dV= \int_0^{16} \int_{-\sqrt{x}}^{\sqrt{x}} \int_{-\sqrt{x-y^2}}^{\sqrt{x-y^2}} dxdydz[/tex]

...do you follow?

Post Deleted.

Last edited:
Post Deleted.

[tex]\int _0^{16}\int _{-\sqrt{x}}^{\sqrt{x}}\int _{-\sqrt{x-y^2}}^{\sqrt{x-y^2}}1dzdydx = 128\pi[/tex]

It works beautifully! Thanks again for your help!

No problem :smile:

1. What is a triple integral in Cartesian coordinates?

A triple integral in Cartesian coordinates is a mathematical tool used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional region in space. It involves integrating a function over a three-dimensional region, taking into account all three coordinates (x, y, and z).

2. How is a triple integral different from a double integral?

A triple integral is different from a double integral in that it takes into account three variables (x, y, and z) instead of just two (x and y). This allows for the calculation of the volume of a three-dimensional region, rather than just the area of a two-dimensional region.

3. What is the process for solving a triple integral in Cartesian coordinates?

The process for solving a triple integral in Cartesian coordinates involves setting up the integral, determining the limits of integration for each variable, and then evaluating the integral using techniques such as substitution or integration by parts.

4. What are some real-world applications of triple integrals in Cartesian coordinates?

Triple integrals in Cartesian coordinates have many real-world applications, such as calculating the volume of a solid object, finding the center of mass of a three-dimensional object, and determining the probability of an event occurring in three-dimensional space.

5. Can a triple integral in Cartesian coordinates be solved using software?

Yes, a triple integral in Cartesian coordinates can be solved using software such as Mathematica, MATLAB, or Wolfram Alpha. These programs can handle complex integrals and provide accurate numerical solutions. However, it is still important to understand the process and concepts behind triple integrals to ensure accurate results.