Triple Integral, Spherical Coordinates

In summary, you need to use spherical coordinates to solve the given integral, but choosing the right coordinates can be tricky. By changing the order of integration and using the divergence theorem, you can simplify the integral and ultimately solve for the given expression. This method involves integrating with respect to p before r, and using the limits 0 to pi for p and 0 to 2pi for t. By using the final limits and simplifying further, you get the answer {4*pi*R^3} / {3*a}.
soofjan

Homework Statement

Calculate:
integral B [ 1/sqrt(x^2+y^2+(z-a)^2) ] dx dy dz , when B is the sphere of radius R around (0,0,0), a>R.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried spherical coordinates for the integrand:
x=rsin(p)cos(t)
y=rsin(p)sin(t)
z=rcos(p)+a
The problem is when I try to find the boundaries of the integral, it gets extremely complicated.
If I try to choose the trivial spherical coordinates to make B easier, then the integrand gets very complicated. So I can't seem to find a way out.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well if you write it this way:

1/sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2-2za+a^2) = 1/sqrt(r^2 - 2ra cos (p)+a^2)

and then you have an integral where r from 0 to R, t from 0 to 2pi and p from 0 to pi.

First integrate wrt t, you have an integral of the form:
sin(p)dp/sqrt(r^2-2ra cos(p) +a^2)= -d(cos(p))/sqrt(r^2+a^2-2ra cos(p))
which an integral of the form:
dx/sqrt(A+Bx)
which equals:
2 sqrt(A+Bx)/B

After that you get an integral for r which is of the form:
r^2/r [ sqrt((a+r)^2)-sqrt((r-a)^2)] dr
Now because r<R<a we have sqrt((r-a)^2) = a-r.

Well I think I gave you more than a hint.

not sure how useful it is is but may give some insight
[tex] \int \int \int_V \frac{1}{\sqrt{(x^2+y^2+(z-a)^2}} dx dy dz [/tex]

so how about letting
[tex] \vec{r} = \vec{x} + (0,0,a)^T [/tex]

which centres the co-ords on the integrand symmetry, so now we have
[tex] \int_V dV \frac{1}{ |r|} [/tex]

now consider a function in spherical coords
[tex] \vec{v} = (v(r),0,0)^T [/tex]

calculating the divergence of v in spherical coords and equating with the integrand gives
[tex] \nabla \bullet \vec{v} =\frac{1}{r^2} \frac{\partial }{\partial r}(r^2 v(r)) = \frac{1}{r}[/tex]

so choose v(r) = 1/2 and we can re-write the integral using divergence theorem
[tex] \int_V dV \nabla \bullet \vec{v} = \int_V dV \frac{1}{ r} = \oint_S \vec{v} \bullet \vec{dS} [/tex]

though i think it would get pretty messy to go on..

Last edited:
MathematicalPhysicist said:
Well if you write it this way:

1/sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2-2za+a^2) = 1/sqrt(r^2 - 2ra cos (p)+a^2)

and then you have an integral where r from 0 to R, t from 0 to 2pi and p from 0 to pi.

First integrate wrt t, you have an integral of the form:
sin(p)dp/sqrt(r^2-2ra cos(p) +a^2)= -d(cos(p))/sqrt(r^2+a^2-2ra cos(p))
which an integral of the form:
dx/sqrt(A+Bx)
which equals:
2 sqrt(A+Bx)/B

After that you get an integral for r which is of the form:
r^2/r [ sqrt((a+r)^2)-sqrt((r-a)^2)] dr
Now because r<R<a we have sqrt((r-a)^2) = a-r.

Well I think I gave you more than a hint.

Well, I tried integrating by dp before dr.. it seems to work.
I get:
sqrt{r^2+a^2-2ra cos(p)} / {a*r}
and when I put the limits 0..pi, I get that:
r^2 * {|a+r|-|a-r|} / {a*r}
since a>R>r, I can remove the absolute value and my final answer is:
{4*pi*R^3} / {3*a}

It never occoured to me changing the order of integration will solve this.. thanks a lot!

1. What is a triple integral in spherical coordinates?

A triple integral in spherical coordinates is a mathematical expression used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional region. It involves integrating over three variables, usually represented by the symbols ρ, θ, and φ, which correspond to the radial distance, azimuthal angle, and polar angle, respectively.

2. How is a triple integral in spherical coordinates different from one in Cartesian coordinates?

In a triple integral in spherical coordinates, the region of integration is defined using spherical coordinates, whereas in Cartesian coordinates, it is defined using rectangular coordinates. This can make the integration easier for certain types of problems, as the shape of the region may be more easily described or visualized using spherical coordinates.

3. What are the limits of integration for a triple integral in spherical coordinates?

The limits of integration for a triple integral in spherical coordinates depend on the shape and orientation of the region being integrated. Generally, the limits for ρ (radial distance) will be from 0 to some value determined by the shape of the region, the limits for θ (azimuthal angle) will be from 0 to 2π, and the limits for φ (polar angle) will be from 0 to π.

4. Can a triple integral in spherical coordinates be converted to one in Cartesian coordinates?

Yes, a triple integral in spherical coordinates can be converted to one in Cartesian coordinates using appropriate coordinate transformations. However, this may not always be necessary or beneficial, as the integration may become more complicated in Cartesian coordinates.

5. What are some practical applications of triple integrals in spherical coordinates?

Triple integrals in spherical coordinates are commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems related to calculating volumes, masses, and moments of inertia. They are also used in computer graphics and 3D modeling to calculate the volume of complex shapes and to create realistic 3D images. In addition, they have applications in fields such as electromagnetism, fluid mechanics, and heat transfer.