Trouble comprehending the empty set

• Thread starter samp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Empty Set
In summary, a set with no elements, also known as an empty set, is defined by the condition that for any element x, x is not a member of the set. This definition does not rely on a notion of a non-empty set, and vice versa, making it non-circular.
samp
What exactly is a set with no elements? What does it mean? Aren't sets entirely defined by their contents? In what manner is a set with no contents defined?

I'm not arguing for or against such an axiom... I simply want to know what the axiom actually is saying. If an empty set is not well-defined, what is it actually asserting?

Physics news on Phys.org
The empty set contains the elements that are the intersection of two mutually exclusive events.

samp said:
What exactly is a set with no elements?
Just what you said. If A is an empty set, then, for any x, x is not in A.

What does it mean?
What do you mean by 'mean'? i.e. what sort of semantic interpretation are you using?

Aren't sets entirely defined by their contents?
Two sets with the same membership relation are the same set, if that's what you mean.

In what manner is a set with no contents defined?
For example, by the condition that for any x, x is not a member of that set.

I simply want to know what the axiom actually is saying.
It's asserting that an empty set exists.

samp said:
What exactly is a set with no elements? What does it mean? Aren't sets entirely defined by their contents? In what manner is a set with no contents defined?

I'm not arguing for or against such an axiom... I simply want to know what the axiom actually is saying. If an empty set is not well-defined, what is it actually asserting?

The empty set is the set of McLaren F1s I own. The empty set is the intersection of the set of red things and the set of nonred things.

Sets are defined on the basis of their contents, which means that:
* The empty set makes sense (it is the set which has no elements)
* The empty set is unique (if there were two empty sets, they would contain the same things [nothing] and so be equal)

A set is indeed defined entirely by its elements. Which is why the empty set is unique.

I prefer to say that the empty set is unique... up to equality.

After all, there is nothing in set theory to say that there is one and only one of each set. It's just that if there were multiple copies of a set, nothing in set theory could at all tell them apart.

I could potentially have a model of set theory where there are 2 empty sets but they are treated identically. Then most sets would have many equal copies. And I could only tell them apart if I had some way outside of set theory that could distinguish them.

Ontologically, it's usual to treat equality as more than just an equivalence relation, but certainly nothing bad would happen if you used an equivalence relation over sets where things that are equivalent 'act the same way' set-theoretically.

Running on empty?

"What exactly is a set with no elements? What does it mean? Aren't sets entirely defined by their contents? In what manner is a set with no contents defined?"

A more tangible speculative physical model might be to take a universe and toss away quanta, and patches of manifold. Supposedly nothing left, it might seem.

Thanks, everyone, for your replies.

However, I'm still having trouble. This is really hard for me, and I feel dumb for failing to perceive something so simple. Here's my next question that may put the issue to rest, for me.

What would be a good definition for empty set, that relies in no way on a notion of a non-empty set, or a definition of a non-empty set, that relies in no way on a notion of an empty set? Surely, one of these must hold or the definitions are circular.

samp said:
What would be a good definition for empty set, that relies in no way on a notion of a non-empty set, or a definition of a non-empty set, that relies in no way on a notion of an empty set? Surely, one of these must hold or the definitions are circular.

The empty set is the set that contains exactly those elements that are not equal to themselves.

samp said:

? On the contrary, if neither definition relies on the other the definitions can't be circular. The definitions would only be circular if each depended on the definition of the other!

1. What is the empty set in mathematics?

The empty set, also known as the null set, is a concept in mathematics that represents a set with no elements. It is denoted by the symbol ∅ or {}.

2. Why is it difficult for some people to comprehend the empty set?

The concept of the empty set can be difficult to comprehend because it goes against our intuition. We are used to thinking of a set as a collection of objects, but the empty set represents a collection with no objects at all.

3. How is the empty set used in mathematics?

The empty set is used in various mathematical concepts, such as set theory, algebra, and calculus. It is often used as a starting point for defining other sets and operations, and it plays a crucial role in mathematical proofs and logic.

4. Can the empty set be a subset of any set?

Yes, the empty set is considered a subset of every set. This is because every element in the empty set is also in every other set, as there are no elements in the empty set to begin with.

5. What are some real-life applications of the empty set?

The empty set may seem like an abstract concept, but it has practical applications in various fields. For example, in computer science, the empty set is used to represent an empty data structure. In economics, it can represent a situation where there are no solutions to a problem. In everyday life, the empty set can be applied in decision-making and problem-solving processes.