Trouble solving an ordinary differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the appropriate equation and solving for a nonhomogeneous first order ordinary differential equation using the standard method of an integrating factor. The solution follows the form M = (k_2/(k_1+k_2)) + (k_1/(k_1+k_2))exp(-(k_1+k_2)t), although there may be a typo in the exponent. The conversation also mentions the use of a substitution to make the equation separable.
Hypatio

Homework Statement

Find the appropriate equation.

Homework Equations

So there we have the ordrinary differential equation

[itex]\frac{d M}{dt}=k_1M-k_2(1-M)=A\exp \left (-\frac{E}{T} \right )M-B\exp \left ( -\frac{F}{T} \right )(1-M)[/itex]

The goal is to solve the differential equation. It turns out the solution should be something like this:

[itex]M=\frac{k_2}{K_1+k_2}+\frac{k_1}{K_1+k_2}\exp -(k_1+k_2)t[/itex]

although I think there may be a typo around the last exp (im not sure if t is inside the exponent or not)

The Attempt at a Solution

After integrating over t I get

[itex]M=Mt(k_1+k_2)-k_2 t[/itex]

But I'm not even sure this is the correct integral of the equation as I don't know how the supposed solution follows from this.

Physics news on Phys.org
You integration over t is not correct, you need to remember M=M(t) is a function of t.

To integrate directly the DE must be separable, this one is not but i think it can be made so with a simple substitution

An example of a separable DE is as follows
[tex]
\frac{dx}{dt} = kx
[/tex]

rearranging and integrating gives
[tex]
\int\frac{dx}{x} = k\int dt
[/tex]
[tex]
ln(x) = kt+c
[/tex]
[tex]
x = e^{c}e^{kt}
[/tex]

or write your ODE as
M' = aM+b

and make the subsitution
N = aM+b

What is an ordinary differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation (ODE) is a mathematical equation that describes how one variable changes in relation to another variable. It involves derivatives, or rates of change, of the dependent variable with respect to the independent variable.

How do I solve an ordinary differential equation?

Solving an ODE involves finding the function that satisfies the equation, given certain initial conditions. There are various methods for solving ODEs, such as separation of variables, substitution, and using numerical techniques.

Why is solving an ordinary differential equation important?

ODEs are used to model various phenomena in science and engineering, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and motion. Being able to solve them allows us to make predictions and understand the behavior of these systems.

What are the challenges of solving an ordinary differential equation?

Some ODEs may not have analytical solutions and require numerical methods to approximate the solution. Additionally, the complexity of the equation and the initial conditions can make it challenging to find an accurate solution.

What are some applications of ordinary differential equations?

ODEs are used in a wide range of fields, including physics, biology, economics, and engineering. They are used to model complex systems and make predictions about their behavior, which can inform decision-making and improve our understanding of the world.