Trouble Understanding E2 Reaction: What Role Does Water Play?

In summary, the conversation is discussing a student's difficulty understanding an E2 reaction. They mention the role of water as a solvent and the involvement of bromide in the reaction. However, they later realize it is actually an E1 reaction and discuss the role of the protic solvent, water. It is clarified that Br2 is not a base and will polarize to form Br+, which will attack the double bond and be followed by nucleophilic attack of water.
Workout

Homework Statement

I'm just having a little difficulty understanding this E2 reaction.

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I know that this is a one step reaction. Br is the base, but does water (the solvent) have effect on the reaction? I just assumed the Bromide would attack the H in the lower right of the ring, the electron density would transfer to the double bonded Carbon, and the double bonded carbon would split so that it doesn't have a (-) charge. I just don't know whether it's just Br that binds or Br and OH bind in the ring.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-11-18 at 6.53.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-18 at 6.53.20 PM.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 469
Physics news on Phys.org
My mistake. It's an E1 reaction.. so the H2O solvent is protic, would it be IV?

It is NOT an elimination reaction. Br2 is NOT a base.

Br2 will polarize to form Br+, which is an electrophile and will attack on double bond, followed by nucleophilic attack of water.

Related to Trouble Understanding E2 Reaction: What Role Does Water Play?

What is an E2 reaction?

An E2 reaction, or elimination reaction, is a type of organic reaction in which a leaving group and a proton are removed from adjacent atoms to form a double bond.

How does water affect an E2 reaction?

Water can act as a nucleophile, attacking the substrate in the E2 reaction and causing it to form a carbocation intermediate. It can also act as a base, abstracting a proton from the substrate and stabilizing the intermediate.

What happens if too much water is present in an E2 reaction?

If too much water is present, it can compete with the substrate for the base or act as a solvent and decrease the concentration of the substrate. This can lead to a decrease in the rate of the E2 reaction.

Why is water often used as a solvent in E2 reactions?

Water is a polar solvent, meaning it can dissolve both polar and nonpolar substances. In an E2 reaction, water can dissolve the substrate and the base, facilitating the reaction. It can also stabilize the intermediate and help prevent side reactions.

Can E2 reactions occur in the absence of water?

Yes, E2 reactions can still occur in the absence of water. However, the presence of water can often increase the rate of the reaction and make it more efficient. Other solvents such as alcohols or aprotic solvents can also be used in E2 reactions.