Understanding Complex Numbers and Their Geometric Representation

In summary, the student is trying to solve a homework equation but does not understand how to graph a point in the polar form.
terbed

Homework Statement

[tex]z=1-i[/tex]
[tex]e^{iz} = ?[/tex]
I have to solve this problem and than picture it.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]e^{iz} =e^{i(1-i)}=e^{i+1}=e^i*e [/tex]
I don't really understand how to picture this result. I assume their is an other way, in which the result has a geometric meaning.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to graph a point in the polar form ##z = re^{i\theta}##?

Yes I know! But there is "i+1" which fustrate. But I know how to graph for example [tex]e^i[/tex]

Does the order of resolution matter?

If not, do the graphic first. z will be in the fourth quadrant with coordinates (1, -i)

e^(iz)=e^[i(1-i)]=e.e^i

edit: Think of e as the radius r.

Last edited:
In the standard graph of the complex plane, the point (a, b) represents the complex number a+ bi. The complex number i+ 1 (= 1+ i, of course) is represented by the point (1, 1). That strikes me as being easier than [itex]e^i[/itex]!

But it is not difficult to go from one to the other. The distance from (0, 0) to (a, b) is [itex]\sqrt{a^2+ b^2}[/itex] and the angle the line from (0, 0) to (a, b) makes with the x-axis is arctan(b/a). a+ bi is the same as [itex]\sqrt{a^2+ b^2}e^{arctan(b/a)}[/itex]. 1+ i has a= b= 1 so [itex]\sqrt{1^2+ 1^2}= \sqrt{2}[/itex] and [itex]arctan(1/1)= \pi/4[/itex]. [itex]1+ i= \sqrt{2}e^{\pi i/4}[/itex].

Thanks!

Sometimes the simplest, dumbest thing is the correct one.

That's always been my plan!

HallsofIvy said:
In the standard graph of the complex plane, the point (a, b) represents the complex number a+ bi. The complex number i+ 1 (= 1+ i, of course) is represented by the point (1, 1). That strikes me as being easier than [itex]e^i[/itex]!
Yes, but you're not suggesting it equals [itex]e^i[/itex] are you?
terbed, do you know how to write [itex]e^{iθ}[/itex] in a + ib form? What does that give in this case?

I don't really know your problem! Yes I can represent it in a+bi form.

terbed said:
I don't really know your problem! Yes I can represent it in a+bi form.
I thought you were trying to get a handle on what ei looked like, so I expected at some point an answer in a+ib form. But I don't see that anywhere in the thread. What did you get for that?

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that can be expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1).

2. What is the purpose of using complex numbers?

Complex numbers are used to represent quantities that involve both real and imaginary components. They are particularly useful in mathematics and engineering, where they are used to solve equations that cannot be solved with real numbers alone.

3. How do you add or subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply combine the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (3 + 2i) + (1 + 5i) = (3 + 1) + (2i + 5i) = 4 + 7i. Similarly, (3 + 2i) - (1 + 5i) = (3 - 1) + (2i - 5i) = 2 - 3i.

4. How do you multiply or divide complex numbers?

To multiply complex numbers, you use the FOIL method (First, Outer, Inner, Last). For example, (3 + 2i)(1 + 5i) = 3 + 15i + 2i + 10i^2 = (3 - 10) + (15 + 2)i = -7 + 17i. To divide complex numbers, you use the conjugate. For example, (3 + 2i)/(1 + 5i) = (3 + 2i)(1 - 5i)/(1 + 5i)(1 - 5i) = (3 - 15i + 2i - 10i^2)/(1 - 25i^2) = -7/26 + 17i/26.

5. Can complex numbers be graphed on a plane?

Yes, complex numbers can be graphed on a plane called the complex plane. The real part of a complex number is plotted on the x-axis, while the imaginary part is plotted on the y-axis. This allows for visual representation of complex numbers and their relationships to each other.