What is the Volume of Water Leaving a Tank Through a Rectangular Opening?

In summary, Bernoulli's law states that the speed of a fluid is proportional to the pressure of the fluid. Continuity equation states that the flux of a fluid is conserved. Volume flux is given by: V = ρgh.
juanitotruan77

Homework Statement

5. A rectangular opening on the side of a water tanks has a width of L. The upper part of the opening it's in a height of h1 underneath the water y and the bottom part it's in h2 . prove that the volume of water that leaves the tank is given by :
2/3(L)√(2g(h1³-h2³))

Homework Equations

Bernoulli's law
e2dd757ae8209ce6fed45947ad9ad43b.png

Continuity equation

d8ceecc84d9efdc2ac536c90630b71c2.png

Volumetric flux
ce0b80a445b4435285d84193ddf63b32.png

both V and v are Speed.

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea so far.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
hi juanitotruan77! welcome to pf! :smile:

imagine the opening is divided into tiny horizontal openings of height dh, and integrate from h1 to h2

what do you get? :wink:

I think i get it, i'll try it. But I'm not very familiar with using integrals. Can you explain me how?

thanks, btw.

try first

see how far you get :wink:

i'm trying, but i don't know how to get to torricelli's law from bernoulli's in a rectangular area.

if dh is small enough, you can regard the pressure as constant

so find the speed v from Bernoulli's equation

i can't, i don't understand where i have to put the differential of h. I think i should ask a teacher tomorrow.

the rectangle is length L, and starts at height h, and finishes at height h + dh

you can regard the pressure as being constant, = ρgh

find v, then multiply by the area (L*dh) to get the flow :smile:

oh, that sounds reasonable, thanks :D

well, i tried, but i couldn't make it work.

(just got up :zzz:)

show us what you did :smile:

hint: 2/3(L)√(2g(h1³-h2³)) = (L)√(2g) times [(2/3)h13/2 - (2/3)h23/2] :wink:

Got it, bro, i already finished, i think i was cofused with the h terms. I used y terms instead. it's quite easy now that i did it. lol. Thanks.

1. What is fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics is the study of how fluids, such as liquids and gases, flow and interact with their surroundings.

2. Why is understanding fluid dynamics important?

Understanding fluid dynamics is important in many fields, such as engineering, meteorology, and oceanography, as it helps us predict and control the behavior of fluids in various systems and environments.

3. What are some common applications of fluid dynamics?

Some common applications of fluid dynamics include designing efficient aircraft and vehicles, studying weather patterns and ocean currents, and developing medical equipment such as ventilators.

4. What are the main challenges in studying fluid dynamics?

Some of the main challenges in studying fluid dynamics include the complexity of fluid behavior, the difficulty in accurately modeling and simulating fluid systems, and the large range of scales at which fluids can behave.

5. How does fluid dynamics relate to other branches of science?

Fluid dynamics is closely related to other branches of science, such as thermodynamics, mechanics, and electromagnetism. It also has applications in areas such as chemistry, biology, and geology.