Troubleshooting Line Integrals: Finding Errors in Calculations

In summary: I think I see what I did wrong now. The path I wrote should have been r=ti+2tj+2. I forgot to add the initial point (0,2).So the correct parametric equations for the line segment from (0,2) to (1,4) would be x=t, y=2t+2. Plugging this into the integral gives us:∫( on curve C) F.dr= ∫2t^3 + 2(sin(2*pi*(2t+2)))dt=∫2t^3 + 2(sin(4*pi*t+4*pi))dt= ∫2t^3 + 2(sin(4*pi
hivesaeed4
Let $${\tmmathbf\vec{F} = yx^2 \tmmathbf\hat{i} + \sin (\pi y) \tmmathbf\hat{j}}$$, and let $${C}$$ be the curve along the line segment starting at (0,2) and ending at (1,4).

$${\int_C \tmmathbf\vec{F} \cdot d \tmmathbf\vec{r} =}$$

My path comes out to be:

r=ti +2tj
dr=i+2j;
F=2t^3i+sin(2*pi*t)j
Now F.dr=2(t^3)+2(sin(2*pi*t))
so
∫2(t^3)+2(sin(2*pi*t))dt=(2t^4 - cos(2*pi*t)/pi ) where t goes from 0 to 1

Note: r,dr and F are vectors.

The answer from the above computation comes out to be 1/2.

I've checked the answer and it's wrong so I've made a mistake somewhere. Could someone identify it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me rewrite the confusing part of my previous post:

Let F=yx^2 i + sin(pi*y) j;

and find

∫( on curve C) F.dr

Now:

My path comes out to be:

r=ti +2tj
dr=i+2j;
F=2t^3i+sin(2*pi*t)j
so

I've checked the answer and it's wrong so I've made a mistake somewhere. Could someone identify it?

r = ti + 2tj doesn't pass through (0,2).

If I'm not mistaken

∫2(t^3)+2(sin(2*pi*t))dt=(1/2)(t^4)-(cos(2*pi*t)/pi)

you have =2t^4; by simply taking the derivative of this you would get 8t^3, not 2t^3.

How does r(t)=ti+2tj not pass through (0,2)? To find the vector of a line segment, it's just <x2-x1, y2-y1>, is it not?

Yes, but the vector is not the parametric equations.

The parametric equations of a line with direction vector <a, b> , passing through [itex](x_0, y_0)[/itex] are [itex]x= at+ x_0[/itex] and [itex]y= bt+ y_0[/itex].

The line given by it+ 2tj or x= t, y= 2t, passes through (0, 0) and (1, 2), parallel to the line in this problem.

hivesaeed4 said:
Let me rewrite the confusing part of my previous post:

Let F=yx^2 i + sin(pi*y) j;

and find

∫( on curve C) F.dr

Now:

My path comes out to be:

r=ti +2tj
dr=i+2j;
F=2t^3i+sin(2*pi*t)j
so

Some points for you to consider:

1) Learn urgently to write with LaTeX in this forum

2) The path you wrote is not a straight line between (0,2) and (1,4)...in fact, it doesn't even pass through neither of these

two points! You must know how to produce the equation of a straight line between two points in the plane.

3) After the above is done, and if I didn't make any error, you must get the integral [tex]\int_0^1\left(2t^3+2t^2+2\sin (\pi(2t+2))\right)dt=\frac{7}{6}[/tex]

DonAntonio

Thanks guys.

What is a line integral?

A line integral is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the integral of a function over a certain path or curve in a multi-dimensional space. It is used to determine the work done or the amount of fluid flowing along a specific path.

What is the difference between a line integral and a regular integral?

A regular integral involves calculating the area under a curve in a two-dimensional space, while a line integral involves calculating the integral along a specific path in a multi-dimensional space. Line integrals are often used in physics and engineering, while regular integrals are more commonly used in mathematics.

How is a line integral calculated?

To calculate a line integral, the function being integrated is multiplied by the differential of the path or curve, and then integrated with respect to the path variable. The result is a single value that represents the total amount of the function along the specified path.

What are some real-world applications of line integrals?

Line integrals have many practical applications, including calculating the work done by a force along a specific path, determining the flow of a fluid through a particular region, and calculating the electric potential in an electric field.

What are some common challenges when working with line integrals?

Some common challenges when working with line integrals include choosing the appropriate path or curve for the integral, determining the correct limits of integration, and dealing with complex functions or multi-dimensional spaces. It is also important to consider the orientation of the path and whether it is a closed or open curve.