Trouble with some vector problems

• Thread starter ramin86
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, to find the angle between a vector and the x, y, and z axis, one can use the scalar product. The scalar product, also known as the dot product or inner product, can be calculated using the tangent of the angle between the two vectors. The value of the scalar product is directly related to the angle between the two vectors.
ramin86
A vector is given by R = 1.50 i + 2.50 j + 2.89 k

Find the angle between R and the x, y, and z axis.

How would I do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. What, in general, gives the angle between two vectors?
2. Which vectors might you use to represent the axes?

Well I tried tangent of y/x, and got the angle, but it turned out to be wrong

Have you heard of one of these products?
"dot product", "scalar product", "inner product"?
(It's different names on the same "thing")

lol well i have heard of a scalar product, not the other two however.

They're other names for the scalar product.
Now:
How is the value of the scalar product between two vectors related to the angle between them?

What are vectors and how are they used in science?

Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude (size or length) and direction. In science, vectors are used to represent physical quantities such as velocity, force, and displacement. They are important in solving problems involving motion, forces, and other physical phenomena.

What are some common difficulties encountered when working with vector problems?

Some common difficulties with vector problems include accurately identifying and representing the vectors, understanding vector addition and subtraction, and using the correct mathematical operations to solve the problem. It is also important to carefully consider the direction and magnitude of each vector in the problem.

How can I improve my skills in solving vector problems?

Practice is key to improving your skills in solving vector problems. Begin by reviewing the basic concepts and operations involved in working with vectors. Then, try solving a variety of problems and check your answers to ensure accuracy. It may also be helpful to work with a tutor or join a study group to get additional support and feedback.

What are some real-world applications of vector problems?

Vector problems have many real-world applications in science, engineering, and other fields. For example, they are used in navigation and mapping, in analyzing and predicting the motion of objects, and in designing structures and machines that can withstand different forces and directions.

Are there any tools or resources available to assist with solving vector problems?

Yes, there are many tools and resources available to assist with solving vector problems. These include online tutorials, textbooks, and software programs that can help with visualizing and solving vector problems. Additionally, many schools and universities offer tutoring and support services for students struggling with vector problems.