Overcoming Math Challenges for a Career in Physics

• Thread starter asteriatic
  • Start date
In summary, the person is struggling with math and is looking for advice. They recommend studying with a textbook and reading until you understand the concepts, getting a book on the topic, and practicing until you are comfortable.
asteriatic
Hi, all -

At this point in my life, I am incompetent in math. I was raised by my mother to be a self-directed unschool, and although I expressed an ardent interest in science, particularly regarding the origins of the universe and properties of space from an early age, my parents never really encouraged me much when it came to math (although my father is an architect and works with math all the time, he doesn't like it much).

With really no background in math I jumped into public high school at 12 and scraped by to get an A/A-. They put me in honors and I had an awful time (I got a 70, with a lot of extra effort). I feel increasingly sure that I *need* to have my math. I am an analytical person, and I deeply would like to pursue a career in physics.

Obviously, as math is the *language* of physics, I need to be profficient in this. I have just started being tutored, but I am struggling again. I feel a bit like the victim of a cruel joke, because I really love physics, but I'm stuck by this barrier of general high school math. I don't feel like I can give the 'dream' up, but I am bound by my logical, practical side, and know that I shouldn't go for something I may really love (and find meaningful) but am no good at. Thanks for your time (this turned out to be quite the ramble!)

Physics news on Phys.org
How are you studying math? The problem may be that you are trying to learn a certain level of math without having understood the previous levels. I don't just mean having learned them, but being able to remember all of the important concepts. Here is how I study for math. I go to the library with my textbook for that course. I read it until I come across an idea I don't understand. I then get a book on that topic and read it until I find something I don't understand. Sometimes it takes five books for me to understand one proof, and the last book will be at a high school level. You just have to make sure you really understand what you are learning and any test will be easy.

You can also learn a lot by hanging around here and browsing the relevant sections. I'll second Euler too- it's important to pursue something until you understand it and practice with it until you are comfortable. Just keep at it as your confidence is building. If you feel like you're at a disadvantage or need to catch up, fine, so just focus on what you need to do to start making progress. :smile:

1. How important is math in a career in physics?

Math is incredibly important in a career in physics. Physics is a highly mathematical field, and a strong foundation in math is necessary to understand and apply physics concepts. Many physics problems and theories are expressed and solved using mathematical equations, so having a strong math background is crucial.

2. What are some common math challenges that students face when studying physics?

Some common math challenges that students face when studying physics include understanding and applying calculus, manipulating and solving complex equations, and visualizing abstract concepts in mathematical form. Additionally, many students struggle with translating real-world situations into mathematical models.

3. How can I overcome math challenges in my pursuit of a career in physics?

First and foremost, practice and persistence are key in overcoming math challenges. It's important to review and reinforce foundational math skills and concepts regularly. Seeking help from a tutor or mentor, breaking down complex equations into manageable parts, and finding real-world applications for math concepts can also be helpful in overcoming math challenges.

4. Can I still pursue a career in physics if I struggle with math?

While having a strong foundation in math is necessary for a career in physics, it is possible to improve and overcome math struggles through diligent practice and seeking help. Many universities and programs offer resources and support for students who may struggle with math, and there are also alternative paths to a career in physics that may require less advanced math skills.

5. Are there any specific math courses or topics that I should focus on for a career in physics?

Calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations are some of the most important math courses for a career in physics. It's also important to have a strong understanding of trigonometry, geometry, and algebra. Additionally, familiarity with computer programming and data analysis can also be beneficial for a career in physics.