Troubleshooting Dual Computers with Shared Internet Connection

In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem where one computer has working internet while the other does not, even though they are both connected to the same modem via an extension cord. Questions are raised about the type of modem being used, the type of extension cord, and potential issues with Norton Systemworks. Suggestions are made to reset the router and check for any changes in the configuration. The conversation ends with a comment about wasting time on the internet.
Jeebus
My friend has a problem. He has a computer that has one working internet and his other computer's internet is down. They are in separate rooms but are connected by an extension cord. They are both connected to the same modem, any ideas why one is working and the other isnt? (They share the same internet connection)

Computer science news on Phys.org
1) I wasn't aware modems (I assume you mean cable or DSL) could support more than one computer.

2) You ought to tell us what kind of "extension cord" you're talking about. USB? Ethernet?

3) You ought to tell us what kind of modem he's using. Surboard? What model?

4) Did this configuration work in the past and then stop working, or is he trying to set it up for the first time?

- Warren

Something wrong with the router?

I'm wondering if he doesn't have a router at all, and is trying to connect two computers to the same modem, one via ethernet and one via USB or something...

- Warren

Yeah, it's a DSL.

- A USB cord.

- Speedtouch is all he could find

- It worked in the past, he says.

He's also wondering if Norton Systemworks kills the internet?

Monique said:
Try resetting the router by turning it off for 30 secs, make sure there isn't a firewall blocking your internet access and take a look at the following thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=37940, maybe it's an electrical problem.

How does he check to try and reset the router by turning it off?

Okay so he has some Speedtouch device which includes a firewall and hub along with the modem itself.

Has one of the computers been moved? It's possible his USB cord is too long and is not able to serve the long distance between the PC and modem. Perhaps he should consider using ethernet instead, if his particular Speedtouch device supports it.

Has anything else changed in his configuration? Most problems like this occur when something is moved, upgraded, or re-configured in some way.

- Warren

Jeebus said:
He's also wondering if Norton Systemworks kills the internet?
Could be, just turn the software off and he'll find out.

I'm not sure what your question was about the router, but modems and routers reset themselves when you take power off of them for 30 secs. It's worth the effort locating both the modem and the router and see what's going on.

Don't get the internet it wastes your time
lol
god I really do waste a lot of time online though
speaking of which
bed time

Related to Troubleshooting Dual Computers with Shared Internet Connection

1. How do I troubleshoot dual computers with a shared internet connection?

To troubleshoot dual computers with a shared internet connection, you should first check that both computers are properly connected to the internet and that the network cables are securely plugged in. Then, make sure that the network settings on both computers are correctly configured to allow for sharing of the internet connection. If the issue persists, try resetting the router or modem and restarting both computers.

2. Why is one computer unable to connect to the internet while the other one can?

This could be due to a variety of reasons, such as a faulty network cable, incorrect network settings, or an issue with the router or modem. Check that the network cable is securely connected and try resetting the router or modem. If the problem persists, there may be an issue with the network settings on the computer that is unable to connect to the internet.

3. How can I ensure that both computers have equal access to the shared internet connection?

To ensure equal access to the shared internet connection, you can set up a network with a load balancer or use a software program that allows for equal distribution of the internet bandwidth among the connected devices. Additionally, you can also limit the bandwidth usage of certain applications or devices to prevent one computer from hogging the internet connection.

4. What should I do if the internet connection on both computers is slow or keeps dropping?

If the internet connection on both computers is slow or keeps dropping, there may be an issue with the router or modem. Try resetting them and also check for any updates or firmware upgrades that may improve the performance. Additionally, if there are multiple devices connected to the network, try limiting the bandwidth usage to improve the speed and stability of the internet connection.

5. Can I troubleshoot dual computers with a shared internet connection without technical knowledge?

Yes, you can troubleshoot dual computers with a shared internet connection without technical knowledge by following basic troubleshooting steps such as checking the network connections, resetting the router or modem, and adjusting the network settings. If the issue persists, you may need to seek assistance from a technical expert or the manufacturer of your router or modem.