Troubleshooting Force Calculation Errors

In summary, the person attempted to calculate the force on a single charge, but got different answers each time, as well as being off by a significant amount.
r-swald
Homework Statement
Three point charges lie along a straight line as shown in the figure below, where q1 = 6.60 µC, q2 = 1.42 µC, and q3 = -2.04 µC. The separation distances are d1 = 3.00 cm and d2 = 2.00 cm. Calculate the magnitude and direction of the net electric force on each of the charges. I attached the picture of it below.
Relevant Equations
Equation: F = k|q1||q2| / r^2
I attempted this a few times but keep getting the same wrong answer...
Converted the values:
q1 = 6.6E-6
q2 = 1.42E-6
q3 = -2.04E-6
d1 = .03m
d2 = .02m

Calculation for force on 1
F1 = - F12 + F13 = - (9E9*6.6E-6*1.42E-6 / .03^2) + (9E9*6.6E-6*2.04E-6 / .02^2)

(I used negative for F12 to account for the charges repelling.)
The answer I got for this one was 209 and it says it differs more than 100%!

I did likewise with the second and got 28.5 and that was off by more than 10%. I don't think I did anything different for these, but I'm not sure. Please help! And thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 4B9394F4-03E7-4D7E-92EB-970F063274DC_4_5005_c.jpeg
    4B9394F4-03E7-4D7E-92EB-970F063274DC_4_5005_c.jpeg
    3.1 KB · Views: 116
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
r-swald said:
Calculation for force on 1
F1 = - F12 + F13 = - (9E9*6.6E-6*1.42E-6 / .03^2) + (9E9*6.6E-6*2.04E-6 / .02^2)
Q1 is the left-hand charge, so the distance to Q3 is not just 2cm...

Awesome! got it. I didn't even think about that, now I Just have to figure out what I did wrong with the other one

Yeah so the second one I'm still getting wrong, it's probably something just as silly 🤔
F2 = F13 - F23 = (9E9*61.42E-6*6.6E-6 / .03^2) - (9E9*1.42E-6*2.04E-6 / .02^2)
I'm getting 28.54 for this and still saying I'm 10% off.

r-swald said:
F2 = F13 - F23 = (9E9*61.42E-6*6.6E-6 / .03^2) - (9E9*1.42E-6*2.04E-6 / .02^2)
I think you have a typo F13 should be F12, right? And I'd use sign convention where forces to the right on a charge are positive (positive x-axis), and forces to the left are negative. Maybe check the signs in that equation...? :smile:

berkeman said:
I think you have a typo F13 should be F12, right? And I'd use sign convention where forces to the right on a charge are positive (positive x-axis), and forces to the left are negative. Maybe check the signs in that equation...? :smile:
Also, there's an extra digit 6 in there (61.42).

Oh yeah, it was a sign problem. Thank you!

Likes berkeman

What are common causes of force calculation errors?

Some common causes of force calculation errors include incorrect input values, incorrect equations or formulas, coding errors, and rounding errors.

How can I prevent force calculation errors?

To prevent force calculation errors, double-check all input values and ensure they are accurate and in the correct units. Use reliable and accurate equations or formulas, and carefully review any coding for errors. Additionally, it can be helpful to round calculations to an appropriate number of significant figures.

What should I do if I encounter a force calculation error?

If you encounter a force calculation error, first check for any input errors and ensure your equations or formulas are correct. If the error persists, try breaking the calculation down into smaller parts and checking each step. You can also seek assistance from colleagues or consult resources such as textbooks or online forums.

Can force calculation errors impact the validity of my results?

Yes, force calculation errors can significantly impact the validity of your results. If the force values are incorrect, it can lead to inaccurate and unreliable conclusions. It is crucial to identify and address any force calculation errors to ensure the accuracy and validity of your findings.

Are there any software or tools that can help troubleshoot force calculation errors?

Yes, there are various software and tools available that can help troubleshoot force calculation errors. These include computer programs specifically designed for force calculations, online calculators, and spreadsheet programs. It is essential to ensure that the software or tool you are using is reliable and accurate for your specific calculation needs.