Troubleshooting Matlab Script with User-Input Function | Beginner's Guide

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter c299792458
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matlab
In summary, The user is attempting to write a Matlab script that uses a user-input function, f(x), throughout the script. They considered using an anonymous function, but encountered issues with the prompt popping up after every loop. They are seeking help and mentioned an alternative method using the "eval" function.
c299792458
Hi,

I am attempting to write a Matlab script that uses a user-input (hence general) function, f(x), throughout the script. I thought of using he following:

f = @(x) input('Enter f(x): ')

but then when my (iterative) While loop is executed which contains (f(x)), the prompt pops up after every cycle.

I'd be grateful for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The anonymous function syntax is a fairly recent addition to matlab. Traditionally you could have entered the function as a string and used the MATLAB "eval" function to execute it.

Something like this,
Code:
! Enter the function as a string
fs = input("Enter a function of x > ",'s')

! "Call" the function using the compound assign x and then eval().
! for example enter "x.^3 - 5" for the above (quotes not needed
! as its expecting a string) and then test it with ...
x=5; eval(fs)
! Returns 115 as expected for f(5)

1. What is a user-input function in Matlab?

A user-input function in Matlab is a function that prompts the user to input data or variables into the code. This allows for more flexibility and customization in the code, as the user can input different values each time the code is run.

2. How do I troubleshoot my Matlab script with a user-input function?

To troubleshoot a Matlab script with a user-input function, start by checking the syntax of your code for any errors. Then, use the "disp" function to display the values of the variables to make sure they are correct. You can also use the "debugging" feature in Matlab to step through your code and identify where the issue may be occurring.

3. Why is my user-input function not working?

There could be several reasons why a user-input function is not working in your Matlab script. One common issue is incorrect syntax, so double-check your code for any errors. Another possibility is that the user is not inputting the correct type of data that the function requires. Lastly, make sure that the function is properly called and that all necessary variables are defined.

4. Can I use multiple user-input functions in my Matlab script?

Yes, you can use multiple user-input functions in your Matlab script. This can be useful for creating more complex and interactive programs. Make sure to properly define and call each function in your code.

5. Are there any best practices for using user-input functions in Matlab?

One best practice for using user-input functions in Matlab is to clearly label and explain what type of input is required from the user. This can help prevent errors and make the code more user-friendly. It is also important to properly handle any potential errors or incorrect input from the user to ensure the code runs smoothly.