Understanding 2D Views of a Line in Engineering Class

In summary, the conversation is about finding the true length of a line in engineering class. The process involves working with 2D views of the line in different planes, such as the profile, front, and horizontal view. The formula used is the Pythagorean theorem, and there are online resources available, such as the book "Descriptive Geometry" and the website of Bakersfield College.
Ryuk1990
In my engineering class we are learning about finding the true length of a line. I don't understand it at all. We basically work with 2D views of a line in either the profile, front, or horizontal view. I don't understand how to get from one view to the next. Does anyone know of any good internet resources to help me understand this concept? I tried googling it but I couldn't really find anything too good.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Imagine a toothpick frozen in an ice cube. Look at it from the top, the front, and the left side. How do you determine the toothpick's length? Picture the the toothpick being the diagonal (hypotenuse) of a right triangle resting on the bottom of the cube. The length of the base of the triangle (B) is the same length you see in the top view. The height of the triangle (H) is the height you see in any side view. The length of the triangle's hypotenuse (the toothpick length) is the square root of A squared + B squared, which is the familiar Pythagorean formula.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ryuk1990 said:
In my engineering class we are learning about finding the true length of a line. I don't understand it at all. We basically work with 2D views of a line in either the profile, front, or horizontal view. I don't understand how to get from one view to the next. Does anyone know of any good internet resources to help me understand this concept? I tried googling it but I couldn't really find anything too good.

are each three of the views on different planes that are perpendicular to each other, for example: top, front, side?

if they are then find lengths of the lines in each view. say L1,L2, and L3
to find the true length the formula is: sqrt[(L1^2)+(L2^2)+(L3^2)]
this is the 3D formulation of the pythagorean theorem.
if 1 or more of the view planes are not perpendicular to the other two and the line is not parallel to at least 1 plane then you'd need to find the angle at which the planes intersect each other and through a more tedious calculation you find the true length.

what program are you using?

If they're learning the way they should, the program is called a pencil-paper-tsquare v1.0.

FredGarvin said:
If they're learning the way they should, the program is called a pencil-paper-tsquare v1.0.

lol, i actually googled that.
i only asked because i don't know how profile, horizontal, and front relate to each other.

Did anything come up? Google is awesome.

well what do you think came up? this page is the first on the list!

Try this:
http://www2.bakersfieldcollege.edu/mrozell/documents/Engr%20B24/Ch16_1.pdf

full course at:
http://www2.bakersfieldcollege.edu/mrozell/

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a 2D view of a line in engineering?

A 2D view of a line in engineering is a graphical representation of a line in two dimensions. It is often used to show the relationship between two variables or to illustrate the geometry of a structure or system.

2. Why is understanding 2D views of a line important in engineering?

Understanding 2D views of a line is important in engineering because it allows engineers to visualize and analyze complex structures or systems before they are built. It also helps in making accurate calculations and predictions about the behavior of the structure or system.

3. How are 2D views of a line created in engineering?

In engineering, 2D views of a line are typically created using computer-aided design (CAD) software. This software allows engineers to create precise and detailed 2D views of a line, which can then be used for analysis and design purposes.

4. What are the different types of 2D views of a line used in engineering?

The most commonly used types of 2D views of a line in engineering are plan view, elevation view, and section view. Plan view shows the top-down view of a structure or system, elevation view shows the side view, and section view shows a cutaway view of the structure or system.

5. How can I improve my understanding of 2D views of a line in engineering?

The best way to improve your understanding of 2D views of a line in engineering is through practice and familiarizing yourself with different types of 2D views. You can also consult with experienced engineers, attend workshops or training programs, and use online resources and tutorials to enhance your knowledge.