True or False? Sequence Question for {sn+tn}

• Thread starter happyg1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether or not the statement "If {sn} is oscillating and not bounded, and {tn} is bounded, then {sn+tn} is oscillating and not bounded" is true or false. The participants have tried to find a counterexample and have started to prove it, but have not been successful. They also discuss the definition of "oscillating" and clarify that in this context, it means a sequence that diverges but not to + infinity or - infinity.
happyg1
Hi,
Here's the question:
If {sn} is oscillating and not bounded, and {tn} is bounded, then {sn+tn} is oscillating and not bounded.
True or False?

I have tried for a while to find a counterexample, but I can't. I am leaning towards saying that this is true...but then I have to prove it. Am I correct in saying that it's true?
I have also started trying to prove it, but I'm having a hard time. Any clarification or advice will be appreciated.
CC

Physics news on Phys.org
{sn} is not bounded, and let's say that it's not bounded above in particular. Let t be inf{tn}. Then (sn + tn) > (sn + t) for all n, so if {sn + t} is not bounded above, then neither is {sn + tn}. But if {sn + t} is bounded, then there is some K such that sn + t < K for all n, so sn < K - t for all n, so {sn} is bounded above, contradiction.

Hi,
Thanks for the help. I was trying to prove it directly and I wound up with a bunch of nonsense. I understand the problem now, and I have worked the other 3 that were giving me headaches.
Thanks
CC

What, precisely, do you mean by "oscillating"? I have seen it used to mean that terms alternate sign or simply to mean that sn-1< sn but sn> sn+1.

Our definition of oscillating is a sequence that diverges but not to + infinity or - infinity.

1. Is the "True or False? Sequence Question" for {sn+tn} a mathematical problem?

No, the "True or False? Sequence Question" for {sn+tn} is not a mathematical problem. It is a type of question that asks you to determine whether a given sequence of events or items is true or false based on a certain criteria.

2. Can I use logic to solve a "True or False? Sequence Question" for {sn+tn}?

Yes, you can use logic to solve a "True or False? Sequence Question" for {sn+tn}. By carefully analyzing the given sequence and using deductive reasoning, you can determine whether the sequence is true or false.

3. Are there any tips for solving a "True or False? Sequence Question" for {sn+tn}?

Some tips for solving a "True or False? Sequence Question" for {sn+tn} include paying attention to key words and phrases in the question, breaking the sequence down into smaller parts, and using logic to eliminate the false options.

4. Is there a specific method for solving a "True or False? Sequence Question" for {sn+tn}?

There is no specific method for solving a "True or False? Sequence Question" for {sn+tn}. It is important to carefully read and understand the question, use logic and deduction to analyze the sequence, and eliminate false options to arrive at the correct answer.

5. Can I use trial and error to solve a "True or False? Sequence Question" for {sn+tn}?

While trial and error may work for some "True or False? Sequence Questions" for {sn+tn}, it is not a reliable or efficient method for solving these types of questions. It is better to use logic and deductive reasoning to arrive at the correct answer.