Trying to figure out gravitational attraction between two objects.

In summary, the conversation is about using Newton's Law of Universal Gravity to calculate the gravitational attraction between two objects. The formula for calculating this force is F = G * M1 * M2 / R^2, where G is the gravitational constant, M1 and M2 are the masses of the two objects, and R is the distance between them. The conversation also discusses the units of measurement that must be used for the formula and suggests using a calculator to solve the equation. The conversation ends with a fifth grader asking for help in solving the equation and being reminded that they can convert the scientific notation of the numbers to make it easier to solve.
LuigiHomer
Trying to figure out the gravitational attraction between two objects using Newton's Law of Universal Gravity.Need to figure out what the force is.Here is a model.If anything is in ordinary parentheses then it is an exponent.

----------------------G
--------____________|_____________400x300
F1=F2=[6.673x10(-11)N m(2) kg (-2)] -----
-------------------------------------2,000(2)

Force is proportional to the product of the two masses{120,000}and inversely proportional to square of distance between two point masses.{4,000,000}

Please help me figure out what F1 is,since F1 is equal to F2.

-LH

Physics news on Phys.org
First thing you must do is ensure all your numbers are in the right units: kilograms & metres (since those are the units that G is in). I don't know what units your numnber are in now.

F - the force between them - will be equal to your formula there.

Okay.The two point masses are in KG.The distance is in metres.G is in Newtons.

So, what answer did you get?

The formula you have listed will calculate "the force of attraction between two bodies". One force, not two. Not sure where the F1=F2= came from.

I can't figure it out.Kind of new to the concept of using Newton's laws.Kind of new to physics.

I would think F1 is force felt by object #1 and F2 is the force felt by object #2, and they are equal in magnitude, while opposite in direction.

Simply multiply and divide and you are done.

G x M1 X M2 / (R x R) = F1 = F2

From your post we have:

M1 = 400 KG
M2 = 300 KG
R = 2000 M

And we know G.

So, just do the math! There's no physics left to figure out.

I don't have a calculator that can even REGISTER Newtons,and our teacher took it away.:(What a meanie.

My sister THINKS it is 0.030.

Do you guys have a suggestion
for a good, reliable computer calculator for free that can do what Molinaro said to do?

@ DaveC,It is that they BOTH exert gravitational force.F1 is equal to F2,which is the other force.

LuigiHomer said:
Do you guys have a suggestion
for a good, reliable computer calculator for free that can do what Molinaro said to do?

> START > PROGRAMS > ACCESSORIES > CALCULATOR

then menu > VIEW > SCIENTIFIC

My sister didn't incorporate G.My head hurts.I'm only in 5th grade,you know.

I think it's 0.6.Please help me.More.

LuigiHomer said:
I don't have a calculator that can even REGISTER Newtons,and our teacher took it away.:(What a meanie.
You don't need a calculator that registers' Newtons...
You're just doing math.

LuigiHomer said:
@ DaveC,It is that they BOTH exert gravitational force.F1 is equal to F2,which is the other force.

They do both exert a force. That formula will calculate the entire forfce between the two masses.

DaveC426913 said:
You don't need a calculator that registers' Newtons...
You're just doing math.

Once again,I AM A FIFTH GRADER!

LuigiHomer said:
Once again,I AM A FIFTH GRADER!
I'm sorry, I missed that.

Have you learned exponents?
6.67x10^-11 is equal to .0000000000667

So:

F = (.0000000000667)*400*300 / (2000^2)

Masses of 300-400kg that a distance of 2km have an extremely small force of attraction.
Your answer should be a very, very small number - about 11 zeros.

LuigiHomer said:
I'm only in 5th grade,you know.

No, we didn't know that, until you mentioned it in this post. :uhh:

1. What is gravitational attraction?

Gravitational attraction is the force of attraction between two objects due to their masses. It is one of the four fundamental forces of nature and is responsible for keeping the planets in orbit around the sun.

2. How is gravitational attraction calculated?

Gravitational attraction is calculated using Newton's law of universal gravitation, which states that the force of gravitational attraction is directly proportional to the product of the masses of the two objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What factors affect gravitational attraction?

The two main factors that affect gravitational attraction are the masses of the two objects and the distance between them. The greater the masses of the objects, the stronger the gravitational attraction, and the greater the distance between them, the weaker the gravitational attraction.

4. How does distance impact gravitational attraction?

The strength of gravitational attraction decreases as the distance between two objects increases. This is known as the inverse square law, which means that if the distance between two objects is doubled, the gravitational attraction will decrease by a factor of four.

5. Can gravitational attraction be shielded or cancelled?

No, gravitational attraction cannot be shielded or cancelled. It is a fundamental force of nature and cannot be blocked or cancelled like other forces such as electromagnetism. However, its effects can be counteracted by other forces, such as centrifugal force in the case of objects in orbit.