Trying to find the equation of motion of a model

In summary, the conversation is about deriving an equation of motion for a system modeled in a Java app, with a focus on treating the weight force as acting at the center of mass of the rod, and considering the importance of normal and friction forces in the problem. The equations being used are F=ma, ƩFx=0, and Ʃτ=0, and the person has been struggling to find an equation that relates the normal forces to the position of the center of mass at time t. They suggest that the net force on the rod can be written as a function of the displacement of the center of mass from equilibrium and that it may be proportional to the displacement, but complications may arise if the rotating cylinders are slowing
Broseph

Homework Statement

I need to derive an equation of motion for the system modeled in this java app:
http://web.whittier.edu/physweb/lagan/250/ejs_ehu_oscillations_cylinders.jar

I was told to treat the weight force as if it was acting only at the center of mass of the rod, and that normal forces and friction forces are crucial to the problem. I have been playing around with this forever though!

μ is the coefficient of kinetic friction, a is half the distance between the circles.

Homework Equations

F=ma, ƩFx=0, Ʃτ=0

The Attempt at a Solution

Pages and pages of manipulations :p
I tried to mainpulate things to get it to look the way the mass on a spring system looks, so I could say F=C*x, and then just use the fact that f=ma=mx''.
It didn't seem to want to work out that way. I am having trouble finding an equation the relates the normal forces to the position of the center of mass at time t. ( the x(t) ). I now that when the displacement of the center of mass from the resting position is zero, then the normal forces are equal. i think that the normal force on the left side = mg/2 * (a-x(t))/a and the right side = mg/2 * (a+x(t))/a. (remember a is half the distance between the cylinders in the app)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should be able to write down the net force on the rod as a function of the displacement of the center of mass from equilibrium. With that expression it should be down hill from there.

A first guess is the force on the rod is proportional to the displacement? Complications might arise if the rotating cylinders were rotating slow enough to the point that friction force on one cylinder changed direction?

FAQ: Trying to find the equation of motion of a model

1. What is the equation of motion for a model?

The equation of motion for a model is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the model's position, velocity, and acceleration over time. It is used to predict the model's movement and behavior.

2. How do you find the equation of motion for a model?

The equation of motion for a model can be found by analyzing the forces acting on the model and using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the sum of all forces acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration.

3. What factors can influence the equation of motion for a model?

The equation of motion for a model can be influenced by various factors such as the model's mass, its initial velocity and position, and the forces acting on it, including gravity, friction, and air resistance.

4. Can the equation of motion for a model change over time?

Yes, the equation of motion for a model can change over time if there are changes in the forces acting on the model or its initial conditions. It is important to regularly update the equation of motion to accurately predict the model's behavior.

5. How is the equation of motion for a model used in scientific research?

The equation of motion for a model is used in scientific research to study and understand the behavior of physical systems. It can help scientists make predictions and design experiments to test their theories and hypotheses about the model's movement and dynamics.

Back