Trying to resolve a trig identity

In summary, the conversation is about trying to resolve a trig identity and recalling it from notes. The identities that have been set up involve E1, E2, Ep, Em, x, y, zeta, alpha, and beta. The left side of the identity is rewritten using sum-to-product identity and simplified using the established identities.
Dustinsfl
I am trying to resolve a trig identity for some notes I am typing up. On paper, I wrote recall $e(\sin(E_1) - \sin(E_0)) = 2\cos(\zeta)\sin(E_m)$. I have no idea what I am recalling this from now at least.

Identities I have set up are:

\begin{align}
E_p &= \frac{1}{2}(E_1 + E_2)\\
E_m &= \frac{1}{2}(E_1 - E_2)\\
x &= a\cos(E)\\
y &= a\sqrt{1 - e^2}\sin(E)\\
\cos(\zeta) &= e\cos(E_p)\\
\alpha &= \zeta + E_m\\
\beta &= \zeta - E_m
\end{align}

Lambert Section
this may be easier to understand if you look at it.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Let's begin with the left side (but write it instead as):

\(\displaystyle e\left(\sin\left(E_1 \right)-\sin\left(E_2 \right) \right)\)

Using a sum-to-product identity, we may write this as:

\(\displaystyle 2e\sin\left(\frac{E_1-E_2}{2} \right)\cos\left(\frac{E_1+E_2}{2} \right)\)

Now using the identities you have set up, this becomes:

\(\displaystyle 2\cos(\zeta)\sin\left(E_m \right)\)

Related to Trying to resolve a trig identity

1. What is a trig identity?

A trig identity is an equation that relates different trigonometric functions to each other. This can include basic identities, such as the Pythagorean identities, or more complex identities that involve multiple trigonometric functions.

2. Why is it important to learn how to resolve trig identities?

Resolving trig identities is an important skill in many areas of math and science, including calculus, physics, and engineering. It allows us to simplify complex equations and solve problems that involve trigonometric functions.

3. How do you know which trig identity to use?

Knowing which trig identity to use can be tricky, but it often involves looking for patterns and using algebraic manipulation to simplify the equation. It also helps to have a good understanding of the basic trig identities and how they can be combined to solve more complex equations.

4. What are some common strategies for resolving trig identities?

Some common strategies for resolving trig identities include factoring, using the double-angle or half-angle formulas, and converting all trigonometric functions to sine and cosine. It also helps to be familiar with the unit circle and the values of trigonometric functions at key angles.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for resolving tricky trig identities?

One tip for resolving tricky trig identities is to try substituting in values for the variables to see if any patterns emerge. It can also be helpful to look for common factors or use trigonometric identities to rewrite the equation in a simpler form. Practice and familiarity with different identities and formulas will also make resolving trig identities easier.