Trying to understand electron orbitals

In summary, the process of electron absorption and its resulting change in orbital energy is understood to be instantaneous according to quantum mechanics. The equations that describe the dynamics of electron orbitals are based on the Schrodinger equation. The concept of a "quantum leap" is not accurate as it implies a known trajectory of the electron. Instead, the process is better described as a wave traveling through a channel, with the exact trajectory unknown until it is observed.
dsaun777
I'm having trouble understanding this process. The electron is absorbing the photon and has a changed orbital corresponding exactly to the photons energy. During the absorption the electron "jumps" energy levels, Is this process instantaneous? What are the equations that describe dynamics of electron orbitals?

Physics news on Phys.org
dsaun777 said:
I'm having trouble understanding this process. The electron is absorbing the photon and has a changed orbital corresponding exactly to the photons energy. During the absorption the electron "jumps" energy levels, Is this process instantaneous?
This is not my area of expertise but since there is no in-between state I'd assume it has to be instantaneous.

What are the equations that describe dynamics of electron orbitals?
That's beyond my knowledge but I'm sure someone here will answer it.

does an atom occupy more space as the energy levels increase?

According to quantum mechanics, the absorption process is instantaneous. Introductory quantum mechanics textbooks describe it as a perturbation in the electric potential that is oscillating. Then the transition probabilities are derived. The process is understood to be instantaneous as 'middle' states are not a solution of Schrodinger equation, so not allowed. Anyway, the absorption must occur in packets multiple of photon energy.

The equations that describe the dynamics of electron orbitals are only one, the schrodinger equation.

Likes obbeel
In stardard quantum mechanics, the electron does not have a definite path or state until it is measured.

There is no such thing as a quantum leap because it implicitly assumes that we would know the trajectory of the electron. Therefore, we cannot say if the transition is instantaneous or not.

An analogous process is water waves in two pools which are connected by a narrow channel. We splash the water in one pool to make waves. The waves gradually travel through the channel also to the other pool.

We have sensors in the other pool which can observe a wave and absorb it, so that the water is almost still again.

A sensor beeps that it has observed a wave. What "path" did that wave take to the other pool? Obviously, it had to travel through the channel. But before entering the channel, the configuration was complex and we cannot point a specific trajectory for the wave.

Last edited:

1. What are electron orbitals?

Electron orbitals are regions of space around an atom where there is a high probability of finding an electron. They describe the three-dimensional distribution of an electron's position and energy within an atom.

2. How are electron orbitals different from orbits?

Electron orbitals are different from orbits in that they do not represent a physical path or trajectory of an electron around the nucleus. Instead, they describe the probability of finding an electron at a certain location within an atom.

3. What is the significance of electron orbitals?

Electron orbitals play a crucial role in determining the chemical and physical properties of an element. They determine the electron configuration and bonding behavior of atoms, which ultimately influences the behavior of molecules and compounds.

4. How are electron orbitals named?

Electron orbitals are named based on their shape and orientation. The first letter represents the shape (s, p, d, f) and the second letter represents the subshell (s, p, d, f) that the orbital belongs to. For example, the 2p orbital is a p-shaped orbital in the second subshell.

5. How many electrons can occupy an orbital?

Each orbital can hold a maximum of two electrons, with opposite spins. This is known as the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that no two electrons in an atom can have the same set of quantum numbers.