Trying to undestand Stoke's Thm

• Thread starter FrogPad
  • Start date
In summary, Stokes' Theorem is a statement that states the flux "curling" through the surface is the same as the result of only traveling along the boundary of that surface.
FrogPad
I'm trying to understand Stokes' Thm better (Not just how to apply it, but when to apply it, and why it is so important). If someone could help me clear this up, that would be cool:

Lets say we have a surface integral:
[tex] \int \int_S \vec F \cdot d\vec S [/tex]
and for some reason we can easily formulate a path around the surface. (I guess this next portion is the part I'm confused, or curious about)
We would then be able to use Stokes' Theorem if:

[tex] \oint \vec U \cdot d\vec r = \int \int_S \nabla \times \vec U \cdot d\vec S [/tex]

IF we can come up with a vector that satisfies:
[tex] \nabla \times \vec U = \vec F [/tex]

right?

Any insight on this would be awesome... I don't know why it's so hard for me to get a feel for the theorem. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
FrogPad said:
I'm trying to understand Stokes' Thm better (Not just how to apply it, but when to apply it, and why it is so important). If someone could help me clear this up, that would be cool:

Lets say we have a surface integral:
[tex] \int \int_S \vec F \cdot d\vec S [/tex]
and for some reason we can easily formulate a path around the surface. (I guess this next portion is the part I'm confused, or curious about)
We would then be able to use Stokes' Theorem if:

[tex] \oint \vec U \cdot d\vec r = \int \int_S \nabla \times \vec U \cdot d\vec S [/tex]

IF we can come up with a vector that satisfies:
[tex] \nabla \times \vec U = \vec F [/tex]

right?

Any insight on this would be awesome... I don't know why it's so hard for me to get a feel for the theorem. Thanks in advance.

This is what I understand from reading D.J. Griffiths "Intro. to Electrodynamics", 3rd ed.:

I think you have it backwards: Stoke's Thm, aka The Fundamental Theorem of Curls, is the statement that the flux "curling" through the surface is the same as the result of only traveling along the boundary of that surface. (In general, a surface integral depends on which surface you chose. But in the case of a curl it does not - no matter what surface you chose you get the same result since the surface has only 1 boundary.)

E.g. in the case of the electrostatic field, since the potential around a closed loop is zero (this is also known as Kirchoff's voltage law) [tex]\oint \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{l} = 0[/tex]. As such, [tex]\nabla\times\vec{E} = 0[/tex].

Finally, since [tex]\nabla\times\vec{E} = 0[/tex] then there is a scalar field, call it [tex]V(\vec{r})[/tex] which is related to [tex]\vec{E}[/tex] via the gradient. This result actually arises from Helmholtz's Thm (Appx. B, ibid). IOW, [tex]\vec{E} = -\nabla V[/tex].

Did this help? ... if not I apologize.

-LD

If:
[tex] \nabla \times \vec E = 0 [/tex]
then [itex] \vec E [/tex] is a conservative field. Thus, the fundamental theorem of line integrals holds (if we define [itex] C [/itex] to be a smooth curve) since a potential function exists BECAUSE the curl is equal to 0.

The fundamental theorem of vector calculus states that:
[tex] \int_C \nabla f \cdot d\vec r = f(\vec r(b))-f(\vec r (a)) [/tex]

Since [itex] \nabla \times \vec E = 0 [/itex] then:
[tex] \vec U = \nabla E [/tex]

Since we are traversing a closed path:

[tex] U(\vec r(c)) - U(\vec r(c)) = 0 [/tex]
Where: [tex] a = b = c [/tex]

So without knowing if:
[itex] \oint \vec E \cdot d\vec r = 0 [/itex] using Stokes' Theorem greatly simplifies the calculation since we know that the curl is equal to 0, we don't have to setup the limits of integration. So yeah, that seems like a good way to use the theorem.
I'm not sure what you mean, with saying that I have something backwards though. What do I have backwards?I really do appreciate the help, so thankyou :)

Last edited:

Related to Trying to undestand Stoke's Thm

1. What is Stoke's Theorem?

Stoke's Theorem is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates the surface integral of a vector field over a surface to the line integral of the same vector field along the boundary of the surface.

2. How is Stoke's Theorem used in real-world applications?

Stoke's Theorem is used in many areas of physics and engineering, particularly in fluid mechanics and electromagnetism. It allows us to calculate the work done by a vector field in a closed loop, which has practical applications in the design of turbines, pumps, and other mechanical systems.

3. What are the prerequisites for understanding Stoke's Theorem?

In order to understand Stoke's Theorem, one should have a strong foundation in multivariable calculus and vector calculus. Familiarity with concepts such as gradients, line integrals, and surface integrals is also necessary.

4. Are there any limitations to Stoke's Theorem?

Stoke's Theorem is only applicable to surfaces that are smooth and have a well-defined boundary. It also assumes that the vector field is continuous and differentiable on the surface and its boundary. In some cases, Stoke's Theorem may not provide an exact solution, but rather an approximation.

5. How does Stoke's Theorem relate to other theorems in calculus?

Stoke's Theorem is closely related to other fundamental theorems in calculus, such as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus and the Divergence Theorem. It can be seen as a higher-dimensional extension of these theorems, as it relates a higher-dimensional integral (surface integral) to a lower-dimensional integral (line integral).