Turbochargers, what's the diffrence between the turbine and compressor

In summary: Including the size and shape of the compressor wheel. The turbine is not a good compressor because it is not optimized for that task.
James125
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum. I'm an engineer...admittedly perhaps not a great one.

I wanted to know about a typical automotive fixed geometry turbocharger. Generally it seems that the compressor is larger than the turbine. Despite being more mass flow on the turbine side. :confused: Why exactly is this?

Also another part to my question - If you used the turbine as a compressor for atmospheric air, what would it's flow and pressure be like? Would it be very inefficient?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi James125!

Some photographs show a larger compressors, others not - comparison not obvious.

Gas speed determines the tip speed of the wheels, not the (marginally different) mass flow. On a centrifugal compressor, gas speed is a bit lower than metal speed, with the blades curved backwards, in order to stabilize the throughput: more flow means less pressure. But on all turbine designs I've seen for turbochargers, gas speed equals metal speed, with blade tips straight. That would be one reason for larger compressors wheels.

More reasons make the comparison difficult.
- Hot exhaust gas gets more easily speed than cold intake air (that's why a gas turbine works).
- The exhaust gas can expand further within the turbine wheel, not just upstream of it.
- The width of the wheels can differ, not just the diameter.

Use the turbine as a compressor: not so good...
- The straight blades give no stability to the mass flow.
- The outlet is a bad intake, with wrong diameter and blade curve
- The turbine's high-temperature material is more expensive!
It's more a question of optimization, but turbomachines need optimization to work.

A very informative answer. I have observed that some turbines do have curved blades. If this is the case could the turbine be ran in reverse? So the outlet is the inlet and the blades spin in the opposite direction.

I ask because I am thinking of recycling a turbocharger and using the turbine impeller as a compressor, as I think the compressor impeller is too large for my application.

No. A turbine is designed to lower the energy of the air. A compressor increases it.
They are designed for two different things and are not interchangeable.

Just having a "curved blade" is meaningless.
There are critical parameters associated with the twist of the blade, as well as with everything else inside of it.

1. What is a turbocharger?

A turbocharger is a device that uses the exhaust gases from an engine to compress and force more air into the engine. This allows for more fuel to be burned and increases the power output of the engine.

2. How does a turbocharger work?

A turbocharger has two main components: a turbine and a compressor. The turbine is driven by the exhaust gases and spins a shaft, which in turn spins the compressor. The compressor takes in air, compresses it, and then sends it into the engine.

3. What is the difference between the turbine and compressor?

The turbine and compressor have opposite functions within the turbocharger. The turbine uses the energy from the exhaust gases to spin the shaft, while the compressor uses the spinning shaft to compress air and force it into the engine.

4. What are the benefits of using a turbocharger?

Using a turbocharger can greatly increase the power output of an engine without increasing its size. This leads to improved fuel efficiency and lower emissions. Turbochargers are also able to maintain power at higher altitudes where air is thinner, making them ideal for high-performance vehicles.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using a turbocharger?

While turbochargers have many benefits, there are some potential drawbacks. They can increase the cost and complexity of an engine, and may require more frequent maintenance. They also create more heat and pressure within the engine, which can lead to increased wear and tear on certain components. Additionally, there may be a slight delay in power delivery, known as turbo lag, as the turbocharger needs time to spool up.