Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tutorial on Argument and Fallacy

1. Feb 6, 2007 #1

Staff: Mentor

I stumbled across this and thought some might find it useful.

and this as well

The Argument Clinic - http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/mathew/sn-python.html

The objective of argument or disputation is not only take an opposing position, but to provide evidence to support one's position. Otherwise, as is pointed out in the MP sketch, it's simply contradiction.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2007 #2
    That's cool, I use wikipedia for logical fallacies, it's got some really great posts about them, and they are logical which makes a change for wikipedia, I accused Vanesch of being guilty of one not two weeks ago :smile:

In relation to MWI :smile: as the theory assumes QT is correct :smile: I don't think he agreed though.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  4. Jan 26, 2008 #3
    Here is one that they missed:

Fallacy of Stolen Concept - An argument where your argument against the truth value of something implicitly demands that you accept the truth value of the thing you are trying to disprove in order to disprove it, making the argument incoherent and contradictory.

- "Language is meaningless" - If language is meaningless, then the statement "language is meaningless" is itself meaningless. When making the argument, you presuppose the meaningfulness of language.
    - "Truth does not exist" - If there is no such thing as truth, then it cannot possibly be true that there is no such thing as truth.
    - "I do not exist" - The speaker makes a statement about herself, and as such, presumes her own existence.
    - "Reality is an illusion" - The very concept "illusion" is derived from the concept "reality"; that is, the concept "illusion" makes absolutely no sense, unless there is indeed "reality" with which it may be contrasted"

5. Feb 16, 2008 #4

Don't tell those to the new agers. They thrive on these concepts.
  6. Feb 27, 2008 #5

Gold Member

Fallacyfiles.org does a lot of categorization of the various fallacies.
  7. Mar 28, 2008 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And when debating with someone who repeatedly relies on fallacious arguments despite your best efforts to point out the error in their logic, it's best to take the upper road and refrain from sending them here.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?