TV shows, movies, and books that are ruined for you by physics

In summary, some of my favorite tv shows, movies, and books when I was a child were ruined by learning physics. These include Stargate, Star Trek the Next Gen, and Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. However, all of these were still enjoyable for me as an adult, despite the physics errors.
hsdrop
What were some of your favorites tv shows, movies, and books what we all loved as a child that got ruined as an adult by learning physics??
Some of my favorites were Stargate, Star Trek the Next Gen, and Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
But all throws dreams were killed off by physics as I got older.
I would love to hear about some of yours.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say that shows and movies with space-ships that have internal gravity are a disappointment, such as Star Trek, Star Wars, etc. I just don't believe that magic gravity floors are possible, yet it seems like a ubiquitous technology in the sci-fi genre.

Likes Daniel Travis and hsdrop
Providing that the "science" is consistent I willingly suspend disbelief, when someone suddenly invents "impossibilium" I get annoyed.

Likes pinball1970
Shows like star trek/stargate were never ruined for me by learning some science. I'm kind of surprised it's true for anyone given that these shows were explicitly set in worlds with different rules. Vastly more non-science fiction/fantasy show have become difficult for me to watch because of the sheer number of mistakes they rely on to work. The whole "zoom and enhance" nonsense that fills crime/spy shows for instance.

Likes hsdrop
hsdrop said:
What were some of your favorites tv shows, movies, and books what we all loved as a child that got ruined as an adult by learning physics??
Actually I can't think of any at the moment... I guess I put off my science hat when I watch movies. After all, they are fiction and entertainment. I am more concerned with books and movies that don't flow fell, i.e. bad story/characters/acting than how scientifically accurate they are. But I will really try to think hard to see if I could come up with an example that fits what you are asking for...

EDIT: By the way,
hsdrop said:
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy..
surprise me a bit as an example, since I consider it a comedy. And a very fun one too, in my opinion.

Likes Algr, 1oldman2, GTOM and 2 others
Don't get me wrong, I love the creativeness of the storeys and can laff along with the jokes. Sometimes I get annoyed when my teenager asks me if you can really do the things in shows like Macgyver does (old and new). Or when false science is holding up the story line like Angels and Demons with the hole making anuf antimatter to see after one clischen in an lhc like ring and then have it glow, really?

Expanse pretends to be very hard, but stealth in space is far from its biggest error...

Likes hsdrop
GTOM said:
Expanse pretends to be very hard, but stealth in space is far from its biggest error...
I like the Expanse, but there are some errors I agree...honestly(speaking sci-fi-tifically) the hole stealth thing is pretty hard unless your able to mask EVERY particle escaping from your vessel...

...But my favorite exploitation of physics in Hollywood to jerk about is probably gravity. Mostly because antigravity(or artificial gravity) in most situations is basically not as they portray it, they miss crucial elements and in some instances just don't care about physics.

Daniel Travis said:
I like the Expanse, but there are some errors I agree...honestly(speaking sci-fi-tifically) the hole stealth thing is pretty hard unless your able to mask EVERY particle escaping from your vessel...

Not only is that impossible it would result in your vessel heating up incredibly quickly, especially given that the Expanse vessels run on fusion reactors. Strangely the book didn't include any of that, there were ships with better stealth but it didn't hide them so much as obscure their IR profile so they were harder to identify.

Yes! exactly my point Staff:Mentor Ryan_m_b! that's why i added the "..." lol, so many things they forgot to have account for , which they "forgot" to mention in the book.lol

Star Wars is definitely my favorite sci-fi saga.

"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..."
Maybe physics was different back then and in that place?

Just kidding. But in all seriousness, if anything would "ruin" Star Wars for me, it's definitely watching Hayden Christensen's attempt at acting :headbang:

Likes StatGuy2000, DennisN and hsdrop
I was never a fan of any of the superhero stuff, but one of the very few things in the genre I ever enjoyed was the scene where Superman catches Lois Lane. Sheldon Cooper ruined that:

I'm assuming the same logic applies to Neo catching Trinity in the Matrix Reloaded

Last edited:
Likes hsdrop
Helios said:
I'd say that shows and movies with space-ships that have internal gravity are a disappointment, such as Star Trek, Star Wars, etc. I just don't believe that magic gravity floors are possible, yet it seems like a ubiquitous technology in the sci-fi genre.

Rotational gravity were definitally harder, but more troublesome for the studio.

Ryan_m_b said:
Not only is that impossible it would result in your vessel heating up incredibly quickly, especially given that the Expanse vessels run on fusion reactors. Strangely the book didn't include any of that, there were ships with better stealth but it didn't hide them so much as obscure their IR profile so they were harder to identify.

Somebody on Isaac Arthur's science channel wrote me :

"I agree that no matter what clever tricks are done with the radiator design of a rocket (or lack therof), it will eventually heat up and emit, at the very least, black body radiation in all directions which would make it detectable also in any direction.

I am saying that the main problem for stealth in spacecraft is the emission of waste heat is omni-directional and that the heat spreads to everywhere in the craft. But it doesn't have to be that way. Very recent research shows that by periodically doping substances like graphene, heat flow, via phonon transport, is forced to follow particular paths in the material. It is a particularly hot topic for CPU research (no pun intended, lol). This means that in theory at least, waste heat flow can be preferentially directed to a collimating radiator if the material through which is flows is carefully controlled.

Picture a parabolic shaped radiator surrounded by this heat flow controlling material, except at the diameter of the collimated output. And all the controlled heat flow channels directed at the radiator's collector."

Theoretically a ship can be much more stealthy if it could effectively control heat emission to a narrow cone.
Anyway i think disappear so easily when they even knew where to search Rocinante is far from Expanse bigger error, i think world building also seriously flawed (they had magitech rockets, but couldn't even produce centrifugal gravity for people that went to belt) the idiocracy of the third book ruined it completely for me.

Likes hsdrop
GTOM said:
Very recent research shows that by periodically doping substances like graphene, heat flow, via phonon transport, is forced to follow particular paths in the material. It is a particularly hot topic for CPU research (no pun intended, lol). This means that in theory at least, waste heat flow can be preferentially directed to a collimating radiator if the material through which is flows is carefully controlled.
Does that mean it's possible to make an insulating layer with zero thermal conductivity? That would be pretty important news. In particular, we wouldn't need high-temp superconductors any more.

Anyway, you don't need exotic materials, every fridge transfers heat from one place to another. If the ship has an internal heat reservoir, it can cool its surface to 3 Kelvins for as long as needed. Opening a hole in the surface, exposing the reservoir to open space, creates directed heat emission.

SlowThinker said:
Does that mean it's possible to make an insulating layer with zero thermal conductivity? That would be pretty important news. In particular, we wouldn't need high-temp superconductors any more.

Anyway, you don't need exotic materials, every fridge transfers heat from one place to another. If the ship has an internal heat reservoir, it can cool its surface to 3 Kelvins for as long as needed. Opening a hole in the surface, exposing the reservoir to open space, creates directed heat emission.

I don't think it has zero conductivity just very efficient. The bottleneck of stealth in space IMHO the thrusters and speed needed to arrive in reasonable time, they can direct a huge telescope to every possible place where a ship could start.

I just thought of another one from Disney it was a fun family movie franchise/ turned theme park that we all grew up with called, "Honey I shrunk the kids." In the late 80-90 the movies hole story line (3 movies in all) was based on an inventer that made a machine that would shrink the space between the nucleus of an atom and the surrounding electrons. Thair for making whatever the machine was aimed at smaller or bigger. Unfortunately the pore physics in the movies was that on this bases any thing that got bigger or smaller would adjust the weight for the size. When in the real world if we had a machine that could do such a thing the weight would not change. Making it quite problematic for a 100-150 pound kid and or adult to put all their weight in a space no bigger than a millimeter or smaller.

ok guys, I'm sorry for my bad taste in humor toward God for anyone that has a steadfast belief. I would like to keep this thread refined to main stream media and entertainment excluding any religious or spiritual beliefs please. I do not wish to offend anyone and I do so wish that no one else would either.:wink:

hsdrop said:
ok guys, I'm sorry for my bad taste in humor toward God for anyone that has a steadfast belief. I would like to keep this thread refined to main stream media and entertainment excluding any religious or spiritual beliefs please. I do not wish to offend anyone and I do so wish that no one else would either.:wink:
Thank you.

hsdrop said:
shrink the space between the nucleus of an atom and the surrounding electrons...Making it quite problematic for a 100-150 pound kid and or adult to put all their weight in a space no bigger than a millimeter or smaller.
You'd also have to find similarly shrunken O2 molecules to continue breathing. :P

Here's one. Tron: Legacy. Loved the movie, but that invading force they just had to stop would have required an enormous amount of energy to create physical bodies. Plus there's no reason for their weapons and machines to continue to function in the physical world.

Likes hsdrop
It does not bother me at all if the science in a SciFi movie, TV series, or book violates physical laws, unless in the particular story (1) the physics dominates the plot, and (2) there is too much impossible stuff.

Some examples:
(1) The impossible FTL travel is essential for almost any space opera, eg, Star Trek, Star Wars. My favorite is Star Trek IV - The Voyage Home (1984) (also a great time travel story). On the other hand, I did not particularly like Star Trek Generations (1994) due to the added dominating non-physics of the "strange energy ribbon".
(2) Time travel backwards in time is physically impossible. However, I have enjoyed "great" time travel stories since the "Golden Age" 1950's (age 15) - By His Bootstraps by Heinlein - 1941. My new favorite has become The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (2003) - movie version (which I liked better than the book) (2009).
(3) Living in a simulated virtual reality is as far as I know does not currently contradict any physical laws, but for the present I believe it is likely to be impossible. My favorite is The 13th Floor (1999). Another excellent example, although the virtual reality is based on a different premise, is Source Code (2011). For me The Matrix (1999-2003) film series is marginally OK but seriously flawed because the basic plot premise about aliens needing human bodies as an energy source makes absolutely no sense.

Likes hsdrop
Buzz, I do not believe that the matrix was not about aliens, but machines that we built. That took over the world and decided to use the humans at power. Yes, there were a lot of flaws with the story line but all parties involved were terrestrial in nature. Like a far flung future of the terminator storyline.

Likes Buzz Bloom
hsdrop said:
Buzz, I do not believe that the matrix was not about aliens, but machines that we built. That took over the world and decided to use the humans at power. Yes, there were a lot of flaws with the story line but all parties involved were terrestrial in nature. Like a far flung future of the terminator storyline.

A guy had the idea, that they used humans as coprocessors, it would have made more sense.
(We could see them copy and mimic human behavior, like have wife and kid)

Likes hsdrop
GTOM said:
A guy had the idea, that they used humans as coprocessors, it would have made more sense.
(We could see them copy and mimic human behavior, like have wife and kid)

I've heard, but can't find a source for, that the Wachowski Siblings originally wrote that the humans were being used as processors but that the studio worried people wouldn't get it. So they had to rewrite it to something "simpler".

Likes Michael Price, hsdrop and Buzz Bloom
My biggest issue with The Matrix was why use human beings? The entire premise of the franchise is that human will and consciousness cannot be perfectly controlled by machines; sentience has some intangible element that can't be quantified/encoded so the matrix itself eventually crashes due to this anomalous free will, so they always have to reboot it or lose their energy supply, hence the function of "the one". So my question is why not just use electric eels? Your powerplants will be much smaller and you don't have the whole sentience problem to worry about. Just wipe out the humans, breed some eels, and be done with it. I think the above stated point about using them as processors fails due to the fact that throughout the series the "agents" always state things like "he's only human"; i.e. inferior to their AI. So why would they try to use humans as superior processors? Not to mention they were born from humans underestimating their sentience; seems like they wouldn't make the mistake by allowing sentient humans to exist.

XZ923 said:
My biggest issue with The Matrix was why use human beings? The entire premise of the franchise is that human will and consciousness cannot be perfectly controlled by machines; sentience has some intangible element that can't be quantified/encoded so the matrix itself eventually crashes due to this anomalous free will, so they always have to reboot it or lose their energy supply, hence the function of "the one". So my question is why not just use electric eels? Your powerplants will be much smaller and you don't have the whole sentience problem to worry about. Just wipe out the humans, breed some eels, and be done with it. I think the above stated point about using them as processors fails due to the fact that throughout the series the "agents" always state things like "he's only human"; i.e. inferior to their AI. So why would they try to use humans as superior processors? Not to mention they were born from humans underestimating their sentience; seems like they wouldn't make the mistake by allowing sentient humans to exist.

I think an interesting plot twist would have been if, during some scene between Neo and the machines (perhaps the architect), they reveal that they don't harvest humans; they love them. It could be teased out that the machines have strong instincts to protect humans, a kind of Asmiovian three laws. But they looked at humanity and they saw they were heading for extinction (it could be hinted the world is barren not from a war but from reckless pollution). The Matrix was their answer to that. In order to best save and serve humanity they would restrict our freedoms to the point where we couldn't really hurt ourselves and keep us in a virtual world. It's already stated in the films that the first Matrix was a heaven that humanity rejected.

This would give the machines more moral ambiguity, present another side to history (which might also be propaganda) and bulk out the theme of chaos/freedom vs order/control.

Likes hsdrop and GTOM
XZ923 said:
You know, I say, kill the lot of us, because of all the problems we make and just use the Geothermal energy. Really that already have all the hole and tunnels made for it. lol

Likes Rubidium_71
One thing that get me going is were a full moon is shown rising in the middle of the night

Simon Peach said:
One thing that get me going is were a full moon is shown rising in the middle of the night
I'm not sure I follow you there. What about that situation bothers you?
Moonrise doesn't happen at the same time of day everyday.
Check this tool for your area: https://www.timeanddate.com/moon/

jackwhirl said:
I'm not sure I follow you there. What about that situation bothers you?
Moonrise doesn't happen at the same time of day everyday.
Check this tool for your area: https://www.timeanddate.com/moon/
no of course it doesn't but the full moon only ever rises as the sun is setting at temperate and tropical latitudes

Bugs Bunny was ruined for me. Apparently objects fall as soon as they are released, and not as soon as they notice.

Simon Peach said:
no of course it doesn't but the full moon only ever rises as the sun is setting at temperate and tropical latitudes
I think I get it now. The full moon should be highest in the middle of the night.

Vanadium 50 said:
Bugs Bunny was ruined for me. Apparently objects fall as soon as they are released, and not as soon as they notice.
Wile E. Coyote was the bigger offender, to my memory. Love those shows.

Was anyone else bothered by the science of the Life movie? I mean, it looked like it was supposed to play in the real world, but then it messed up science at an astonishing rate. They catch the capsule because it would otherwise be lost in space, when it moves with like 20 m/s relative to the ISS. They dock a rocket on the ISS to push it out of Earths orbit, which is far beyond current capabilities. And the Alien trampled senselessly over all laws of Biology and thermodynamics

Away from SF novels, movies and the like, it seems to me that TV science programmes can also at whiles play fast and loose with the physics. The representation of the Main Asteroid Belt as a kind of Chesil Bank in Space is a particular favourite of mine. I even spotted this aggregate-cum-'rubble pile' effect in a recent edition of the BBC's 'The Sky at Night' - the presenters of which really should know better (Chris & Maggie, are you reading this?)

I could have all this completely wrong, of course. If so, and should I live long enough to witness it, I look forward to the sport of asteroid hopping in the not-too-distant future.

Jobrag said:
Providing that the "science" is consistent I willingly suspend disbelief, when someone suddenly invents "impossibilium" I get annoyed.
Or 'unobtainium?' (The Core)