1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Twin Paradox in outgoing frame

1. Apr 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that as calculated in the rest frame comoving with the twin on the outgoing trip, the ratio of the two ages of the twins is the same: i.e. the twin on earth has age gamme times the other twin

2. Relevant equations
    Lorentz Transforms

3. The attempt at a solution
    We are supposed to do this from the frame of the outgoing twin: but staying in the departing reference frame, and watching the twin that returns to earth speed away from us.

So the age of a twin on earth as seen from our frame is 2*L'/v with L' = L * gamma

The age of the twin which left is the time while the twin is moving with our frame + the time it takes to return to the earth.

This is where I run into trouble. I can't verify that the twin that left earth has t = 2*L/(gamma^2)

I assume t(1/2) which is the time the twin which left is still in our frame is L'/v.

Then t(return) = 2*L'/v(ret) with v ret the relativistic added velocity 2*v/(1+(v/c)^2).

This doesn't work, however, I can't get the sum to be what it should be.

Any ideas?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted