Two block friction incline problem with rope

In summary, the conversation discussed a physics problem involving two blocks on an inclined plane, with one block resting on top of the other and connected by a rope. The question was to find the force needed to make the lower block start moving down the plane, assuming a coefficient of friction of 1/3 for all surfaces. The given answer of F = 40.3N was found to be incorrect, and the correct answer was determined to be F = 17.7N. A more challenging problem involving three blocks on an inclined plane was also mentioned.
h1a8

Homework Statement

Block A weighs 60N and rests on top of block B which weighs 80N and rests on an incline plane with angle of elevation 30 degrees. Block A is restrained by a mass-less rope as shown. What force F will cause block B to start moving down the plane? Assume all surfaces have a coefficient of friction of 1/3.
The answer is printed as F = 40.3N

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/802/an0g.jpg

According to what's printed, the answer is supposed to be F = 40.3 N
But that's not what I'm getting.

Homework Equations

Free body diagrams for both blocks with y-axis perpendicular to incline plane.
Newton's 2nd Law after free body diagrams to form equations.
Newton's 3rd Law for normal forces and friction forces between blocks.

fs=μNB and fAB=fBA=μNA

Block B
1. μNB+μNA-F-WBcosθ=0 x-direction
2. NB-NA-WBcosθ=0 y-direction

Block A
3. NA-WAcosθ=0 y-direction
4. T-μNA-WAsinθ=0 x-direction

The Attempt at a Solution

I created free body diagrams and set up equations based off Newtons 2nd law. fAB is the force block B is pulling block A with (maximum static friction) and fBA is the maximum force block A is restraining block B with.3. → NA=WAcosθ
2. → NB=(WA+WB)cosθ
1. → F=μ(WA+WB)cosθ+μWAcosθ-WBsinθ
or F= μ(2WA+WB)cosθ-WBsinθ = 17.7N

I solved the systems and finally got F = 17.7N. I'm thinking the answer F = 40.3N is wrong (the professor made a mistake). Or did I make a mistake somewhere? Are my free body diagrams and forces correct? I appreciate any help thanks.P.S. I collect physics problems and try to solve them for fun (like this one). Does anyone know of another good block incline problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your work looks OK to me.

I agree, the given answer is wrong. I've not been able to figure out what mistake would lead to that answer. Halving the angle gets close.
If you want a challenging question, try this (warning: I haven't worked it through myself, so it might not do what my intuition says)
Two identical rectangular blocks sit at rest at different heights on an inclined plane. (Make up labels for angles, coefficients of friction, masses, block dimensions...) A third identical block sits squarely on top of the lower block. All surface contacts have the same coefficients of friction, but static exceeds kinetic.
The upper block is nudged down the slope, and kinetic friction is not enough to hold it. Under what circumstances, if any, will the third block end up sitting squarely on the nudged block, at rest relative to it?

1. What is a two block friction incline problem with rope?

A two block friction incline problem with rope is a physics problem that involves two blocks connected by a rope on an inclined surface. The blocks have different masses and are subject to friction and gravitational forces. The goal is to determine the acceleration and tension in the rope.

2. How do you solve a two block friction incline problem with rope?

To solve this problem, you would need to draw a free body diagram for each block, taking into account the forces acting on them such as gravity, normal force, and friction. Then, you can use Newton's second law and the equations for friction and tension to set up equations and solve for the unknown variables.

3. What are the key concepts involved in a two block friction incline problem with rope?

The key concepts involved in this problem include Newton's second law, friction, tension, and the relationship between forces and acceleration. It is also important to understand how to draw and analyze free body diagrams to properly set up the equations.

4. What are some common mistakes made when solving a two block friction incline problem with rope?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to include the friction force, using incorrect signs for the forces, and not considering the effects of the rope's tension on each block. It is also important to make sure the angles and components of the forces are correctly identified in the equations.

5. Can a two block friction incline problem with rope have more than one solution?

Yes, it is possible for this type of problem to have multiple solutions. This can occur if there is more than one way to set up the equations or if there are multiple values that satisfy the equations. It is important to carefully check your work and consider all possible solutions when solving this type of problem.