Two blocks hanging on an incline

In summary: Since all forces sum to zero, you can just calculate the tensions by multiplying the weight forces by the cosine of the angle between them.
chaotixmonjuish
Two blocks are connected by a massless string and are held in position by another massless string along a frictionless incline (as shown in the figure). Let M1 = 39.0 kg, M2 = 37.0 kg, and θ = 36°. Calculate the tension in the string connecting the two blocks.

Calculate the tension between the wall and M2

I'm working on the M2 part fist:

When I was working out this problem, I got these two equations

Y= T*sin(36)-382.2-362.6=0
X= T*cos(36)

so I solved for T in x
T= cos(36)

Am I approaching this the right way. I'm still having problems calculating components on forces.

Physics news on Phys.org
do you have the figure?

M2 is closest to the wall

get two equations with two unknowns: T1 and T2 for the two tensions

So for T1 or the Tension between M2 and the Wall

X= cos(36)*T1=0
Y= T*sin(36)-382.2-362.6=0

For T2
x= cos(36)*(T1+T2)=0
y= sin(36)*(T1+T2)-382.2-362.6=0

Am I on the right track now?

confusing notation... does "X=..." means for x-comp etc?
cos(36)*M2*g = N (normal reaction force for M2)
how come you have Tesion force multiplying cos and sin? probably easier to use the coord system where y direction is perpendicular to surface of incline plane and x is parallel to surface.

then just relate weight forces to the tensions

Those are the components, X= is parallel to the x-axis and Y is perpendicular to the X

I believe it would be easier to use the set of coord sys that I have mentioned

I think that's what I did.

chaotixmonjuish said:
I think that's what I did.

then your equations look wrong...:uhh:

oh gosh, this is embarasssing

do you mind just correcting one equation and I'll use that to fix the rest?

as I understood it (but without the picture I am guessing of course), there are two known forces (the weight forces), and two unknowns (the tensions). you task is to put tensions force in terms of the weight forces. since weight forces always act vertically down, and with the "inclined" coord sys, you must first resolve the components of these weight forces in the directions of these "inclined" axes. I have already given you one equation before (which illustrates how you should resolve stuffs... although that equation itself has no use in this particular problem because there is no friction)

cos(36)*M2*g = N (normal reaction force for M2)
from this you should observe that cos(36)*M2*g is actually perpendicular to surface of incline plane. you just have to do the other directions and the fact that all forces sum to zero.

1. What is the concept of "Two blocks hanging on an incline"?

The concept of "Two blocks hanging on an incline" involves two blocks of different masses connected by a string or rope, hanging off an inclined plane or slope. This setup is often used to demonstrate the principles of Newton's Laws of Motion.

2. What forces are acting on the blocks in this scenario?

There are two main forces acting on the blocks: the force of gravity pulling the blocks downwards and the tension force of the string or rope pulling the blocks upwards. There may also be a normal force from the incline pushing the blocks perpendicular to the slope.

3. How does the angle of the incline affect the motion of the blocks?

The angle of the incline affects the magnitude and direction of the force of gravity acting on the blocks. As the angle increases, the component of gravity pulling the blocks down the slope also increases, causing the blocks to accelerate faster down the incline.

4. What is the relationship between the masses of the blocks and their acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In the case of two blocks hanging on an incline, the larger block will experience a greater force of gravity and therefore accelerate faster than the smaller block.

5. How can the tension force in the string be calculated in this scenario?

The tension force in the string can be calculated using the equation T = (m1 x g x sinθ) - (m2 x g x sinθ), where T is the tension force, m1 and m2 are the masses of the blocks, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the incline. This equation takes into account the forces acting on both blocks and their respective masses.