Solving Drywall Weight Problems

• Thread starter fruitl00p
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weight
In summary, the problem involves two builders carrying a sheet of drywall up a ramp with given dimensions and weight. The lead builder carries a vertical weight of 183.0 N, and the question is to find the weight carried by the builder at the rear. The second part of the problem involves the rear builder getting tired and suggesting to hold the drywall by its narrow side, and the question is to find the weight he must now carry. The solution involves using the equations Fy = 0, Fx = 0, and torque = 0, and setting up an equation to find the weight carried by the rear builder in terms of the given weight and dimensions. A diagram would be helpful in understanding the problem.
fruitl00p

Homework Statement

Two builders carry a sheet of drywall up a ramp. Assume that W=1.80 m, L= 3.30m, and that the lead builder carries a vertical weight of 183.0 N (41.1 lbs). What is the vertical weight carried by the builder at the rear?

The builder at the rear gets tired and suggest that the drywall should be held by its narrow side. What is the weight he must now carry?

Homework Equations

I think:

Fy = 0
Fx= 0

torque=0

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I don't have a godd idea as to how to do this and what I am doing.

First I said Fy= F1 + F2 - W= 0
torque = F2*l2 - Wlw = 0

l2= 3.30 cos 25
lw= .75 cos 25

W= F2(l2/lw)= 183 N (3.30 cos 25/ .75 cos 25)
W= 805.2 N

F1= W-F2 = 805.2 - 183 = 622.2 N

However my answer is wrong. Since I can't get the first part correct I haven't moved on to the second.

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have not described the problem sufficiently. Where did you get the 25deg angle ? A diagram would help.

Oh, I'm sorry, the 25 degrees came from the angle of the ramp. However, I finally just figured out how to do the problem.

Thanks for pointing that out though

Related to Solving Drywall Weight Problems

1. How do I determine the weight limit for my drywall?

The weight limit for drywall is typically determined by the manufacturer and can vary depending on the type and thickness of the drywall. It is important to check the manufacturer's specifications for the specific type of drywall being used.

2. What are some common causes of drywall weight problems?

Drywall weight problems can be caused by several factors, including using the wrong type or thickness of drywall, improper installation techniques, or exceeding the weight limit with heavy objects or fixtures.

3. How can I make my drywall stronger to support more weight?

To make drywall stronger and able to support more weight, you can add additional support such as studs or cross bracing behind the drywall. You can also use thicker or reinforced drywall in areas that will be supporting heavier objects.

4. Can I hang heavy objects on drywall without causing damage?

It is generally not recommended to hang heavy objects directly on drywall, as it can cause damage and potentially lead to structural issues. It is best to use anchors or other support methods to distribute the weight and prevent damage to the drywall.

5. What should I do if I notice my drywall is sagging under the weight of objects?

If you notice your drywall is sagging under the weight of objects, it is important to address the issue immediately. This could indicate a problem with the installation or the weight limit being exceeded. Consult with a professional to determine the best course of action to avoid further damage or potential safety hazards.