1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two cars in different directions

1. Jun 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two cars drive on a straight highway, at time t= 0, car 1 passes mile marker 0 traveling due east with a speed of 20 m/s. At the same time, car 2 is 1 km east of mile marker 0 traveling at 30 m/s due west. Car 1 is speeding up with an acceleration of magnitude 2.5 m/s^2, and car 2 is slowing down with an acceleration of magnitude 3.2 m/s^2. (a) Write x versus t equations of motion for both cars, taking east as the positive direction. (b) Also, at what time do the cars pass next to one another?

2. Relevant equations

xf= xi + vi * t + 1/2 at^2

3. The attempt at a solution

x1= (20 m/s) + (1.25 m/s^2) t^2

x2= (1000m) + (-30 m/s) + ( 1.6 m/s^2) t^2

I know this is the right equation for part a.

I just need to know the final answer for part b. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Don't you just set x1 = x2 and solve?

4. Jun 19, 2009 #3
    Yep. Thanks. I don't know what I was thinking, but I should have seen that. I got 24 seconds. I am pretty sure that is right. Well, it's either 24 s or 118 s and 24 sounds better.

5. Jun 19, 2009 #4

ideasrule

Homework Helper

No, both solutions are physically meaningful. Think about it: after car 2 comes to a stop, it starts gaining speed in the other direction, which means...

24 m/s is the right answer, but you can't reject 118 s simply because it doesn't sound good. There's a reason that it's a solution.

6. Jun 19, 2009 #5
    The 24 second mark isn't necessarily the "better" time, it's just the first time that the cars pass. Since Car B is accelerating faster than Car A, it will eventually (in 118 seconds) pass Car A again. Both of the times are correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook