Two cars in different directions

• Thread starter Dave25
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cars
In summary, two cars are traveling on a straight highway, one east and one west, with different initial positions and speeds. One car is accelerating while the other is decelerating. The x versus t equations of motion for both cars are given, and the time at which they pass next to each other can be found by setting their positions equal to each other. The solutions for this are 24 seconds and 118 seconds, both of which are physically meaningful.
Dave25

Homework Statement

Two cars drive on a straight highway, at time t= 0, car 1 passes mile marker 0 traveling due east with a speed of 20 m/s. At the same time, car 2 is 1 km east of mile marker 0 traveling at 30 m/s due west. Car 1 is speeding up with an acceleration of magnitude 2.5 m/s^2, and car 2 is slowing down with an acceleration of magnitude 3.2 m/s^2. (a) Write x versus t equations of motion for both cars, taking east as the positive direction. (b) Also, at what time do the cars pass next to one another?

Homework Equations

xf= xi + vi * t + 1/2 at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

x1= (20 m/s) + (1.25 m/s^2) t^2

x2= (1000m) + (-30 m/s) + ( 1.6 m/s^2) t^2

I know this is the right equation for part a.

I just need to know the final answer for part b. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't you just set x1 = x2 and solve?

Yep. Thanks. I don't know what I was thinking, but I should have seen that. I got 24 seconds. I am pretty sure that is right. Well, it's either 24 s or 118 s and 24 sounds better.

No, both solutions are physically meaningful. Think about it: after car 2 comes to a stop, it starts gaining speed in the other direction, which means...

24 m/s is the right answer, but you can't reject 118 s simply because it doesn't sound good. There's a reason that it's a solution.

The 24 second mark isn't necessarily the "better" time, it's just the first time that the cars pass. Since Car B is accelerating faster than Car A, it will eventually (in 118 seconds) pass Car A again. Both of the times are correct.

Related to Two cars in different directions

1. What is the concept of "Two cars in different directions"?

The concept of "Two cars in different directions" refers to two vehicles moving away from each other in opposite directions. This is an example of relative motion, where the motion of one car is observed relative to the other car.

2. How is the distance between the two cars calculated?

The distance between the two cars can be calculated by finding the difference between the distances covered by each car in a given time period. For example, if car A travels 10 kilometers in one hour and car B travels 8 kilometers in the same hour, the distance between them would be 2 kilometers.

3. What factors affect the speed of the two cars?

The speed of the two cars can be affected by several factors, including the power of the engine, the weight and aerodynamics of the car, the condition of the road, and external factors such as wind and traffic. Additionally, the speed of a car can also be affected by the actions of the driver, such as braking and accelerating.

4. Can two cars in different directions ever meet or collide?

Yes, two cars in different directions can meet or collide if they are traveling on the same road or intersecting paths. In this case, the distance between the two cars would decrease until they meet or collide. This is known as a head-on collision and can be dangerous for both drivers.

5. How can the relative velocity of the two cars be calculated?

The relative velocity of the two cars can be calculated by finding the difference between their individual velocities. This can be calculated using the formula: relative velocity = velocity of car A - velocity of car B. The result will indicate the speed and direction of the relative motion between the two cars.