Two charged capacitors cross connected to each other

In summary: Finally, the capacitors are connected to each other once again. red..blue.|...|___...______...___.|...|blue red
PhysicsUnderg

Homework Statement

Capacitors C1 = 6.99 mF and C2 = 1.72 mF are charged as a parallel combination across a 219 V battery. The capacitors are disconnected from the battery and from each other. They are then connected positive plate to negative plate and negative plate to positive plate. Calculate the resulting charge on capacitor C1

Homework Equations

V=Q/C, Q=CV

The Attempt at a Solution

I really do not know how to start this problem. I guess I don't know what is meant by the connection of positive plate to negative plate, visa versa... how does this effect the voltage? How do I reason out this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
When thew capacitors are connected in parallel, voltage across each capacitor is the same and tha charge on each plate is
Q1 = C1V and Q2 = C2V.
When you connect positive plate to negative plate, charges will flow from one plate to the other until both the plates acquire the equal charges. And the charge on each plate will be (Q1 - Q2)/2.

PhysicsUnderg said:
I really do not know how to start this problem.
Finding charge on each capacitor, when charged by the 219 V battery, might be a good start.
I guess I don't know what is meant by the connection of positive plate to negative plate, visa versa...
Perhaps I can try to explain. Imagine for a moment that everything is color coded. Each capacitor has a red terminal and a blue terminal. The battery also has a red terminal (say, positive), and a blue terminal (negative).

When the are capacitors are charged by the 219 V battery, all the colors match

red..red..red +(positive)
.|...|...|
___...___...|
___...___...Batt
.|...|...|
blue blue blue -(negative)

Once charged, the battery is removed.

red..red
.|...|
___...___
___...___
.|...|
blue blue

Then, the capacitors are unconnected from each other. One is flipped upside down, and connected back to the other capacitor.

red..blue
.|...|
___...___
___...___
.|...|
blue red

Last edited:

1. What is a charged capacitor?

A capacitor is an electrical component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric charge. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, called a dielectric. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, one plate accumulates a positive charge while the other accumulates a negative charge.

2. How are two capacitors cross connected to each other?

Two capacitors can be cross connected by connecting one plate of each capacitor to the other. This creates a series connection, where the two capacitors share the same voltage. The other plate of each capacitor is connected to an external circuit.

3. What is the purpose of cross connecting two charged capacitors?

The purpose of cross connecting two charged capacitors is to increase the total capacitance of the system. When capacitors are connected in series, their individual capacitances add up, resulting in a larger overall capacitance. This can be useful in applications where a higher capacitance is needed, such as in power supplies or signal filters.

4. What happens to the charge and voltage when two charged capacitors are cross connected?

When two charged capacitors are cross connected, the charge remains the same on each capacitor, but the voltage is shared between them. This means that the voltage on one capacitor will decrease, while the voltage on the other will increase to maintain the total charge. The overall voltage across the system remains the same.

5. Can two capacitors with different charges be cross connected?

Yes, two capacitors with different charges can be cross connected. The resulting voltage and charge distribution will depend on the individual capacitances and charges of each capacitor. However, it is important to note that cross connecting capacitors with significantly different charges can result in a large current flow between them, which can be dangerous and potentially damage the capacitors.