Two cos/sin wave graphing question

In summary, the conversation is about finding the cosine graph equations for two problems. The first problem involves a shift to the right by 2, an amplitude of 3, and a value of π/2 for b. The second problem involves an amplitude of 2, a shift to the left by 1, and a shift up by 3. The solutions provided appear to be correct, but there is some uncertainty about the format of the equation. It is suggested to use the identity cos(x - \pi) = -cos(x) to simplify the first equation.
rought

Homework Statement

2ikxo53.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

For #3 I need to finde the cos graph equation here's what I got: shift to the right 2, Amplitude = 3, b = π/2

equation: y=3cosπ/2(x-2)

I'm just not sure if i have it in the right format or if I'm even right

Attempt for #4 Amplitude=2 Shift left = 1 Shift up= 3

jugzna.jpg
n data[/b]

I'm just not sure if I am doing it right for both of them

Physics news on Phys.org
rought said:
I'm just not sure if i have it in the right format or if I'm even right

You're solutions appear to be right, but I'm not sure what you mean by the right format.

For your first solution, you are correct, but if when you say "format" you are referring to a simpler form, you may wish to use the identity [tex]cos(x - \pi) = -cos(x)[/tex] to simplify the equation.

FAQ: Two cos/sin wave graphing question

1. How do I interpret the graph of two cosine/sine waves?

The graph of two cosine/sine waves shows the relationship between two periodic functions. The x-axis represents time or distance, while the y-axis represents the amplitude of the waves. The intersection points indicate when the two waves have the same amplitude and direction. You can also determine the frequency and phase shift of each wave by analyzing the graph.

2. What is the difference between a cosine wave and a sine wave?

A cosine wave is a function that oscillates between a maximum and minimum value with a period of 2π. It starts at its maximum value and then decreases, reaching its minimum value at π before increasing again. On the other hand, a sine wave starts at 0 and increases to its maximum value at π/2 before decreasing. The two waves have the same shape, but they are shifted by π/2.

3. How do I find the amplitude of a cosine/sine wave?

The amplitude of a cosine/sine wave is the distance from the midline to the peak of the wave. It represents the maximum displacement or height of the wave. In a graph, you can determine the amplitude by finding the distance between the maximum and minimum points on the y-axis.

4. How do I determine the frequency of a cosine/sine wave?

The frequency of a cosine/sine wave is the number of complete cycles it completes in a given interval. It is measured in hertz (Hz). In a graph, you can calculate the frequency by counting the number of peaks or troughs in one period (2π) and dividing it by the period. The period is the length of one complete cycle.

5. How do I calculate the phase shift of a cosine/sine wave?

The phase shift of a cosine/sine wave is the horizontal displacement or shift of the wave from its original position. It is measured in radians (or degrees). In a graph, you can determine the phase shift by finding the horizontal distance between the midline and the starting point of the wave. This distance is equal to the phase shift.