Two current sources in series with a resistor.

In summary, the conversation discusses a picture of a single loop with two current sources and a resistor. The current sources are opposing each other, with one possibly being an AC current source and the other a DC current source. The validity of the question is questioned due to the contradicting values given for the currents.
nik235
hello, forum members. I'm new so pardon if any error.

IS the question in this pic solved correctly.

Attachments

• moto_0040.jpg
    moto_0040.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 546
Physics news on Phys.org
The pic shows a single loop with two current sources and a resistor.
The current sources oppose each other - one (2i1) may be intended as an AC current source, while the other (5A) is a DC current source.

You can check the working yourself by applying Kirkoffs laws.

Likes 1 person
isn't

i = 2i1 = -5

This question doesn't make sense to me. A 5 amp current source has 5 amps going through it, or it wouldn't be a 5 amp current source. The same goes for the other current source. If the currents aren't equal, one or both will deviate significantly from being an ideal current source, and you'd have to know more details of the current sources to see what will happen.

Likes 1 person
@willem2, I too find it contradicting, i just neglected the question, as per me, it should be i = 2i1 = -5

I don't think the entire question is there ... it seems to be assuming a context not on the pictured page.

1. What is the purpose of having two current sources in series with a resistor?

The purpose of having two current sources in series with a resistor is to create a more stable and reliable source of current. By having two sources, the chances of one source failing and interrupting the flow of current are reduced. The resistor also helps to balance the current between the two sources.

2. How do two current sources in series affect the overall resistance of the circuit?

When two current sources are connected in series, the overall resistance of the circuit increases. This is because the resistor adds its own resistance to the circuit, making it more difficult for current to flow. However, the overall resistance may still be lower than if only one current source was used, as the two sources may have lower individual resistances.

3. Can the two current sources in series be of different strengths?

Yes, the two current sources in series can have different strengths. However, it is important to consider the overall resistance of the circuit and ensure that it can handle the combined strength of the two sources. If one source is significantly stronger than the other, it may overload the resistor and cause it to fail.

4. How does the voltage drop across the resistor change with two current sources in series?

The voltage drop across the resistor remains the same regardless of the number of current sources in series. This is because the resistor has a fixed resistance value, and Ohm's law states that the voltage drop across a resistor is directly proportional to the current flowing through it.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using two current sources in series with a resistor?

One potential disadvantage of using two current sources in series with a resistor is that it can increase the complexity of the circuit and make it more difficult to troubleshoot or repair. Additionally, if one source fails, it may cause the other source to overload and fail as well. It is important to carefully consider the design and potential risks before using multiple current sources in a circuit.