1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two current sources in series with a resistor.

1. Jan 7, 2014 #1
    hello, forum members. I'm new so pardon if any error.

IS the question in this pic solved correctly.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The pic shows a single loop with two current sources and a resistor.
    The current sources oppose each other - one (2i1) may be intended as an AC current source, while the other (5A) is a DC current source.

You can check the working yourself by applying Kirkoffs laws.

4. Jan 8, 2014 #3
    isn't

i = 2i1 = -5

5. Jan 8, 2014 #4
    This question doesn't make sense to me. A 5 amp current source has 5 amps going through it, or it wouldn't be a 5 amp current source. The same goes for the other current source. If the currents aren't equal, one or both will deviate significantly from being an ideal current source, and you'd have to know more details of the current sources to see what will happen.

6. Jan 8, 2014 #5
    @willem2, I too find it contradicting, i just neglected the question, as per me, it should be i = 2i1 = -5

7. Jan 8, 2014 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't think the entire question is there ... it seems to be assuming a context not on the pictured page.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted