Two dimensional acceleration question

In summary, the speaker is having trouble with a book that does not provide enough examples and is now asking for help with a physics problem involving calculating the average acceleration of a car. They are unsure of how to approach the problem and ask for clarification on whether they should find the magnitude or vector form of acceleration. A hint is given to use the definition of average vector acceleration by finding the change in velocity.
F.B
My book stinks it doesn't explain or show you how to do enough examples. But anyways i have another problem now. I figured out how to do my other question. Anyways my question is...

A car with a velocity of 25 m/s [E] changes its velocity to 25 m/s in 15s. Calculate the car's average acceleration.

How do i start this question off. I don't know what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are we looking for a magnitude of acceleration or a vector form?

the magnitude and degrees/direction

Use the definition of average (vector) acceleration:
[tex]\vec{a}_{ave} = \frac{\Delta \vec{v}}{\Delta t}[/tex]

(Hint: To find the change in the velocity, write the initial and final velocity in component form and then subtract.)

1. What is two dimensional acceleration?

Two dimensional acceleration refers to the rate at which an object's velocity changes in two different directions. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the acceleration, unlike one dimensional acceleration which only considers changes in one direction.

2. How is two dimensional acceleration calculated?

To calculate two dimensional acceleration, you must first determine the change in velocity in both the x and y directions. Then, divide these values by the change in time. This will give you the acceleration in each direction, which can be represented using vectors.

3. What is the difference between average and instantaneous two dimensional acceleration?

The average two dimensional acceleration is the overall change in velocity over a period of time, while instantaneous two dimensional acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Instantaneous acceleration takes into account any changes in direction, while average acceleration does not.

4. How does two dimensional acceleration affect an object's motion?

Two dimensional acceleration can affect an object's motion by changing its velocity in two different directions. This can result in changes in speed, direction, or both. For example, if an object is accelerating in the x direction and decelerating in the y direction, it will follow a curved path.

5. What are some real world examples of two dimensional acceleration?

Some real world examples of two dimensional acceleration include a car turning a corner, a ball being thrown in an arc, or a rocket launching into space. In all of these scenarios, the object experiences acceleration in two different directions, resulting in changes in velocity and motion.