Finding Final Velocities in a Two-Dimensional Collision

• Thread starter wesDOT
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collisions
In summary, the problem involves a collision between a 5.0-gram particle and a 2.0-gram particle, with the 5.0-gram particle initially moving at 60 m/s and the 2.0-gram particle at rest. After the collision, both particles have a velocity directed at 30° from the original direction of motion of the 5.0-gram particle. The solution involves using the conservation of kinetic energy and linear momentum equations, with the x and y components taken into account. After solving the equations, the final velocity of the 2.0-gram particle is found to be 26.5 m/s.
wesDOT

Homework Statement

A 5.0-gram particle moving 60 m/s collides with a 2.0-gram particle initially at rest. After the collision each of the particles has a velocity that is directed 30° from the original direction of motion of the 5.0-gram particle. What is the speed of the 2.0-gram particle after the collision?

Homework Equations

conservation of kinetic energy equation
conservation of linear momentum equation and the x and y components

m1v1i=m1v1fcos(theta) + m2v2fcos(phi)

The Attempt at a Solution

m1=5
m2=2
m2=.4m1

theta=30
phi=30

Since the the only two variables I am missing are the two final velocities, I have tried solving one of the equations for mass2s final velocity and then subsituting that value into either the original equation or another one. Everytime i end with an answer that is not one of my choice. I am confused as to how i should go about find the final velocities.

Physics news on Phys.org
wesDOT said:
conservation of linear momentum equation and the x and y components

m1v1i=m1v1fcos(theta) + m2v2fcos(phi)
That's good for the x-components. What about the y-components? (That will give you the second equation needed.)

Doc Al said:
That's good for the x-components. What about the y-components? (That will give you the second equation needed.)

0=m1v1fsin(theta)-m2v2fsin(phi) right?

wesDOT said:
0=m1v1fsin(theta)-m2v2fsin(phi) right?
Right!

Thanks a lot. That has been taunting me all day. I tried everything else but that. Yet that was so simple. Again, thank you.

What is a two dimensional collision?

A two dimensional collision is a type of collision that occurs between two objects or particles in which they move in two dimensions, typically on a flat surface. This means that their motion can be described using two coordinates, such as x and y, instead of just one.

What factors affect the outcome of a two dimensional collision?

The outcome of a two dimensional collision can be affected by several factors, including the masses and velocities of the objects involved, the angle of collision, and the type of forces acting on the objects.

What is the difference between an elastic and an inelastic two dimensional collision?

An elastic collision is one in which the kinetic energy of the system is conserved, meaning that the total energy before and after the collision is the same. In an inelastic collision, some kinetic energy is lost to other forms of energy such as heat or sound.

How is momentum conserved in a two dimensional collision?

Momentum is conserved in a two dimensional collision because it is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. This means that the total momentum of the system before and after the collision must be the same in both magnitude and direction.

What are some real-world examples of two dimensional collisions?

Some real-world examples of two dimensional collisions include billiard balls colliding on a pool table, cars colliding at an intersection, and particles colliding in a particle accelerator. These collisions can also be observed in sports such as soccer, where players collide with each other and the ball on a two dimensional playing field.