Two dimensional motion problem: speed of sound as a factor?

In summary, the problem involves a soccer player kicking a rock off a 31.0 m high cliff into a pool of water. The player hears the sound of the splash 3.1 seconds later, and the speed of sound in air is 343 m/s. Using the known quantities of delta Y= -31 m and t=3.1 s, the player calculates the time the rock was in the air as 2.525 seconds. However, the remaining time of 0.575 seconds is for the sound of the splash to reach the player. The player then calculates the line of sight distance using the speed of sound and the remaining time, and uses Pythagoras' theorem to find the horizontal displacement of the rock
Aubiefan
I am stumped by the following problem, I can't quite figure out what to do with the information about the speed of sound:
A soccer player kicks a rock horizontally off a 31.0 m high cliff into a pool of water. If the player hears the sound of the splash 3.1 s later, what was the initial speed given to the rock? Assume the speed of sound in air to be 343 m/s.

I don't think it is implying that the object was traveling at the speed of sound, so I'm not really sure how it figures into the problem, since it does not give a delta X value.
The known quantities are delta Y = -31 m and t= 3.1, so using
delta Y= Voyt + (1/2)gt^2 and substituting zero for Voy, I solved for t and got 2.525 seconds.
Using Vy=Voy + at, I got that Vy = 24.647 m/s.

That is where I'm stuck, any advice on where to proceed from here?

Thank you for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
The rock travels for a while as a projectile, then it makes the splash, then it takes some time for the sound of the splash to get back to you.

The total time for both parts is 3.1 s.

It sounds harder at first until you realize that the time for the rock to fall does not depend on the initial horizontal speed.

The 2.52 seconds is the elapsed time from kickoff until the stone hits the water. The remaining time is for the sound of the splash to reach the player. This sound had to travel along the line of sight, that is from the entry point in the water up to the player.

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it. So if there is a 0.575 second lag time between when the object hits and when the splash is heard, how do I use that to figure out the initial velocity? I'm sorry if I'm being dense with this...I've got the list of kinematic equations in front of me but can't figure out what my next step should be to solve for Vox and then Vo. I tried using tan theta = Vy/Vx, using 180 degrees since it was kicked along a horizontal, but tan theta is zero...
Any tips are extremely welcome and appreciated!

You have speed (of sound) and time. What must be the net displacement?

What's the vertical displacement?

Take it from there..

Net displacement should be speed times time, but I am trying to solve for the speed of the object, and what I have is the speed of sound. The vertical displacement is -31 meters, so if it hit after 2.525 seconds then it dropped with an average velocity of 12.277 m/s, but that is almost exactly half of what I had calculated Vy as being using Vy=Voy + at. I'm sorry that I'm having such a hard time "getting" this, but without an angle or any horizontal values, I feel like I keep hitting a wall.

You can calculate the line of sight distance along which the sound travels back to the player with the remaining time and the speed of sound. This distance forms a right angled triangle with the height and the total x-displacement of the rock. See if you can calculate this x-displacement.

I tried to get the line of sight distance the way you suggested by using 343 m/s times 2.525 s, to cancel out meters, and got 866.075 m. I used the pythagorean theorem with the delta Y value to get delta X, 31m^2 + delta X^2 = 866.075^2. I came up with an answer of 865.52 m for the delta X, but that seems much too big. I tried that answer on Webassign anyway, and it told me I was off by an order of magnitude. Just out of curiosity I moved the decimal place over, using 86.552, and it told me that now I am within 10% of the correct answer. Apparently this happened by dumb luck, because I still don't know how to proceed. I am sure I am making this much harder than it should be, again I apologize, I really appreciate your patience, I am not trying to ask anyone to give me an answer but am just really hitting a wall about the appropriate steps to take, it seems like everything I try just brings me to a new dead end.
Thank you, again any tips are extremely appreciated.

Remeber that the time taken by sound to reach you is 0.575 secs and not 2.525 secs . Multiplying with the speed of sound, you can get the net displacement of the projectile (hypotenuse). Use Pythagoras' theorem to find Xy .

I got it! Thanks, I think my main problem was using which t value (total time, falling time, or the difference) to use where. I multiplied the difference times the speed of sound, like you said, and used that as my delta X value, then used delta X = Voxt to solve for the initial horizontal velocity, using the falling time t value, and finally got the correct answer.
Thanks so much to everyone for your time and patience, it means a lot!

what was the answer you ended up getting for this problem??

The question asked for initial speed, and I got 79.78 m/s.

1. What is the speed of sound and how is it measured?

The speed of sound is the rate at which sound waves travel through a medium. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) and varies depending on the temperature, humidity, and composition of the medium. The speed of sound in dry air at sea level is approximately 343 m/s.

2. How does the speed of sound affect two-dimensional motion?

The speed of sound does not directly affect two-dimensional motion, as it is a scalar quantity and only measures the rate of sound wave propagation. However, it can indirectly impact two-dimensional motion by influencing how quickly sound signals are transmitted and received by objects in motion.

3. Can the speed of sound be affected by external factors?

Yes, the speed of sound can be affected by external factors such as temperature, humidity, and air pressure. In general, the speed of sound increases with temperature and decreases with humidity and air pressure.

4. How is the speed of sound used in real-world applications?

The speed of sound is used in a variety of real-world applications, including in the design of aircraft and other vehicles, in medical imaging techniques such as ultrasound, and in acoustics and sound engineering.

5. How is the speed of sound different in different mediums?

The speed of sound can vary significantly in different mediums. For example, it is much faster in solids than in liquids or gases. It also varies depending on the composition and density of the medium. For instance, sound travels faster in helium than in air.