Two Diode AND Gate - New to EE

In summary, the diode-resistor AND gate works by pulling the output low when either input is low, and pulling the output high only when both inputs are high. The diodes prevent charges from flowing and the output is pulled to either a low or high state depending on the inputs. The output is not grounded, but rather "pulled" to a logic high or low state by transistors, diodes, or resistors. The voltage range for a logical 0 or 1 is above +3.5 volts for logic 1 and below +1.5 volts for logic 0. The transistor and diode versions of the AND gate have opposite output states in a floating input state.
extremepilot
Hi, I am new to EE.
On this page - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electronic/diodgate.html#c1" - the very first circuit shows a diode-resistor AND gate. How does that work? I understand the OR gate shown right below it, but... the two inputs on this AND gate are connected to reversed diodes meaning charges can't flow. Doesn't this mean the input is useless? How does this work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes M Danial Khan
Engineering news on Phys.org
With both A and B in a low state, you would need both A and B in a high state to get a high state output. As long a one input is low, that diode will be conducting. A diode drop in voltage is ~0.6v hence a low state.

Welcome to PF

Thanks!

The first part is basically the definition of an and gate, but could you please elaborate on

"As long a one input is low, that diode will be conducting. A diode drop in voltage is ~0.6v hence a low state." ?

If one diode is conducting it would be conducting towards the input (since it can't conduct the opposite way), turning the input into an output. That's all I understand from this circuit. Hope this clears up my understanding of it so you can see what I'm not understanding, heh.

Last edited:
extremepilot said:
Hi, I am new to EE.
On this page - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electronic/diodgate.html#c1" - the very first circuit shows a diode-resistor AND gate. How does that work? I understand the OR gate shown right below it, but... the two inputs on this AND gate are connected to reversed diodes meaning charges can't flow. Doesn't this mean the input is useless? How does this work?

extremepilot said:
Thanks!

The first part is basically the definition of an and gate, but could you please elaborate on

"As long a one input is low, that diode will be conducting. A diode drop in voltage is ~0.6v hence a low state." ?

If one diode is conducting it would be conducting towards the input (since it can't conduct the opposite way), turning the input into an output. That's all I understand from this circuit. Hope this clears up my understanding of it so you can see what I'm not understanding, heh.

No, the inputs are still inputs. Either input low will pull the output low. So both inputs have to be high for the output pullup resistor to be able to pull the output high. That's an AND function from inputs to output.

berkeman said:
No, the inputs are still inputs. Either input low will pull the output low. So both inputs have to be high for the output pullup resistor to be able to pull the output high. That's an AND function from inputs to output.

Ok I actually understand - if any of the diodes are grounded they conduct charge through them and away from the output preventing a 1 - then is the output also grounded? if not which part of the circuit gets grounded?

extremepilot said:
Ok I actually understand - if any of the diodes are grounded they conduct charge through them and away from the output preventing a 1 - then is the output also grounded? if not which part of the circuit gets grounded?

In logic, you inputs and outputs get "pulled" high and low, either by transistors, diodes or resistors. So you aren't really "grounding" anything, just pulling to logic high or low.

So if you had two of these AND gates in a row, with the output of the first one driving one of the inputs of the second one, do you see how the low and high logic states can propagate along?

I think I actually understand and don't know why this didn't occur to me before. But in the linked schematic the output gets connected to ground, correct? I am working with a breadboard and understand that you can't just have (lets say 5v) power connected with no ground connected whatsoever, so going off this fact alone... output gets grounded correct? I'm extra unsure since the schematic on that site shows ground just floating by itself, not connected to anything.

extremepilot said:
I think I actually understand and don't know why this didn't occur to me before. But in the linked schematic the output gets connected to ground, correct? I am working with a breadboard and understand that you can't just have (lets say 5v) power connected with no ground connected whatsoever, so going off this fact alone... output gets grounded correct? I'm extra unsure since the schematic on that site shows ground just floating by itself, not connected to anything.

I think I see what is confusing you. For each of the circuits shown, they show how power and ground are used by the circuit. For the diode-based AND circuit, no actual ground connection is needed, since the inputs being pulled low will pull the output low,without any actual in-gate connection to ground. If it were TTL totem-pole logic, then yes, there are transistors connected to power and to ground, to be able to actively pull the output high and low.

Also note what a logical 0 or 1 voltage range is.

In both of these gates, we have made the assumption that the diodes do not introduce any errors or losses into the circuit. This is not really the case; a silicon diode will experience a forward voltage drop of about 0.65v to 0.7v while conducting. But we can get around this very nicely by specifying that any voltage above +3.5 volts shall be logic 1, and any voltage below +1.5 volts shall be logic 0. It is illegal in this system for an output voltage to be between +1.5 and +3.5 volts; this is the undefined voltage region.

http://www.play-hookey.com/digital/electronics/dl_gates.html"

hi guys,

ok I thought I understood this till I looked further into that link and saw this diag
showing the transistor and the diode version side by side.

what puzzles me now is, in a floating input state, the transistor version the output is pulled low via the 4k7 resistor but the diode version is pulled hi by the resistor to +V so they are opposite.
That is correct isn't it ?

Inferring that one would have to take that into consideration if making discrete component gates?

Dave

Attachments

• and2.gif
    and2.gif
    4.1 KB · Views: 788
davenn said:
hi guys,

ok I thought I understood this till I looked further into that link and saw this diag
showing the transistor and the diode version side by side.

what puzzles me now is, in a floating input state, the transistor version the output is pulled low via the 4k7 resistor but the diode version is pulled hi by the resistor to +V so they are opposite.
That is correct isn't it ?

Inferring that one would have to take that into consideration if making discrete component gates?

Dave

There are both pull-up and pull-down resistors in logic gates, but the logic is the same. The only difference in the states are the voltage ranges for the high and low states.

Thank you

One more stab at it ... the output is pulled low if either or both of the inputs are grounded (low/'0'). If both inputs are high (connected to voltage over +3.5v) the output is not 'pulled down' and is high. Right? Also can you simply disconnect the input end of both diodes to prevent the output from being pulled down?

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_3/10.html" made more sense than the first link

extremepilot said:
Thank you

One more stab at it ... the output is pulled low if either or both of the inputs are grounded (low/'0'). If both inputs are high (connected to voltage over +3.5v) the output is not 'pulled down' and is high. Right? Also can you simply disconnect the input end of both diodes to prevent the output from being pulled down?

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_3/10.html" made more sense than the first link

You got it. Good job!

Thank you VERY much

berkeman said:
I think I see what is confusing you. For each of the circuits shown, they show how power and ground are used by the circuit. For the diode-based AND circuit, no actual ground connection is needed, since the inputs being pulled low will pull the output low,without any actual in-gate connection to ground. If it were TTL totem-pole logic, then yes, there are transistors connected to power and to ground, to be able to actively pull the output high and low.

is it correct that in AND gate the output is taken across the diodes or parallel to diode.so when diode conduct we measure the voltage drop of 0.6v.
thanks

amaresh92 said:
is it correct that in AND gate the output is taken across the diodes or parallel to diode.so when diode conduct we measure the voltage drop of 0.6v.
thanks

No. In real AND gates, diode logic is not used. The example is for teaching purposes only.

1. What is a Two Diode AND Gate?

A Two Diode AND Gate is a type of logic gate that performs the AND operation on two input signals. It consists of two diodes connected in series with each other, with the output being taken from the junction of the two diodes. It is used in digital electronics to implement logical AND operations.

2. How does a Two Diode AND Gate work?

The Two Diode AND Gate works by allowing current to flow through the output only when both input signals are present. This is achieved through the use of diodes, which act as one-way valves for current. When both input signals are present, the diodes allow current to flow through and produce an output signal. If one or both input signals are absent, the diodes prevent current from flowing and the output remains low.

3. What are the advantages of using a Two Diode AND Gate?

One advantage of using a Two Diode AND Gate is its simplicity in design and implementation. It only requires two diodes, making it a cost-effective option. Additionally, it has a wide range of applications in digital circuits, such as in logic gates, flip-flops, and registers.

4. Are there any limitations to using a Two Diode AND Gate?

One limitation of using a Two Diode AND Gate is the voltage drop across the diodes, which can affect the output signal. Additionally, it can only perform the AND operation and cannot be used for other logic operations such as OR or NOT. It also has limited fan-out, meaning it can only drive a certain number of inputs before the output signal weakens.

5. How is a Two Diode AND Gate different from other logic gates?

A Two Diode AND Gate is different from other logic gates in the sense that it uses diodes as its main component instead of transistors. This makes it simpler and more cost-effective, but it also has certain limitations compared to other logic gates. It is also different from other AND gates, such as the CMOS AND gate, in terms of its circuitry and operation.