1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two heat/temperature problems

1. Jan 3, 2007 #1
    1. How many celsius degrees does the temperature of a mass of 1.00 kg of water fall for each 83.8 kJ of heat it loses.

2. Not so sure about EQUATIONS but I have my own way of going at it.

3. 83.8 kJ / 4.19 J * (1.00 kg * 1000) = 0.2 degrees celsius

1. How much heat is required to raise the temperature of a mass of 10.0 kg of water a total of 20.0 celsius degrees.

2. Not so sure about EQUATIONS but I have my own way of going at it.

3. IF it takes 4.19 j of heat to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by one degree celsius, how do we factor in the larger mass of 10,000 grams and the larger temperature change of 20 celsius degrees?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2007 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your solution to the first question is correct. For the second, you should consider an equation relating the specific heat capacity of water, its mass and the change in temperature to thermal energy. I'm sure you will have been given some formulae in your notes/text.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?