Calculating System Work and Displacement of Center of Mass

In summary, a system has two carts that are pushed by a spring. The center of mass starts at one position, but it moves to a new position due to the compression of the spring.
Edel Crine
Homework Statement
Two identical 0.50-kg carts, each 0.10 m long, are at rest on a low-friction track and are connected by a spring that is initially at its relaxed length of 0.50 m and is of negligible inertia. You give the cart on the left a push to the right (that is, toward the other cart), exerting a constant 5.0-N force. You stop pushing at the instant when the cart has moved 0.40 m. At this instant, the relative velocity of the two carts is zero and the spring is compressed to a length of 0.30 m. A locking mechanism keeps the spring compressed, and the two carts continue moving to the right.
(a) What is the work done by you on the two-cart system?
(b) How far does the system’s center of mass move while you are pushing the left cart?
(c) By what amount do you change the system’s kinetic energy?
Relevant Equations
w=f*d
<work done a system>
a) w=5N*(0.4m)=2J
I think this is right, but

b) center of mass initial = ((0.5kg)(0.05m)+0.5kg(0.65m))/1kg = 0.35m
center of mass final = ((0.5kg)(0.45m)+0.5kg(0.4+0.1+0.3+0.25))/1kg = 0.75m

I'm not sure for this one... How can I calculate the displacement of the center of mass??

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok for part (a).
For part (b), I don't understand the 0.25 term in the calculation of the final position of the center of mass.

Likes scottdave
The center of mass started at one position. Now it is at a new position. That should be straightforward to calculate.
But Where did you get the 0.25 in this: 0.5kg(0.4+0.1+0.3+0.25))/1kg ?

Likes TSny
Actually, I just put random numbers,,,,,

Edel Crine said:
maybe (0.3-0.5)m= -0.2m
0.4m-0.2m= 0.2m, so maybe I thought the second cart moves 0.2m to rightward...?

Edel Crine said:
:wideeyed:

Likes PhDeezNutz
TSny said:
:wideeyed:
Oh,,,, my bad... I think the reason why I did like that is this...?

maybe (0.3-0.5)m= -0.2m
0.4m-0.2m= 0.2m, so maybe I thought the second cart moves 0.2m to rightward...?

I'm not sure how can I get the displacement of the spring and the second cart.

Edel Crine said:
I'm not sure how can I get the displacement of the spring and the second cart.
There are probably neater ways, but a clear path is to write out the differential equations relating the compression force, displacements, accelerations etc. You should get an SHM equation for the mass positions relative to their common centre.

haruspex said:
There are probably neater ways, but a clear path is to write out the differential equations relating the compression force, displacements, accelerations etc. You should get an SHM equation for the mass positions relative to their common centre.
What I thought was since the left-most cart moves 0.4m and the spring compressed 0.2m from the original, then the displacement of the right-most cart would be 0.2m, so my final position of the center of mass would be ((0.5kg)(0.45m)+(0.5kg)(0.4+0.25)m)/1kg= 0.55m.

So the displacement of the center of mass would be (0.55-0.35)m=0.20m?
If I did wrong, please let me know!

I appreciate for all helps!

Edel Crine said:
final position of the center of mass would be ((0.5kg)(0.45m)+(0.5kg)(0.4+0.25)m)/1kg= 0.55m.
Yes, I overlooked that you are given the compressed length.
Edel Crine said:
displacement of the center of mass would be (0.55-0.35)m=0.20m?
How do you get the 0.35?

A figure may help :smile: The length of both carts is 0.1 m. Supposing that their CM is in the middle, the initial position of the CM of the first cart is
x1=0.05 m, the spring is 0.5 m long, so x2= 0.65 m.
1585573814340.png

Likes PhDeezNutz
haruspex said:
Yes, I overlooked that you are given the compressed length.

How do you get the 0.35?
I got this one with ((0.5kg)(0.05m)+(0.5kg)(0.65m))/1kg = 0.35m!

ehild said:
A figure may help :smile: The length of both carts is 0.1 m. Supposing that their CM is in the middle, the initial position of the CM of the first cart is
x1=0.05 m, the spring is 0.5 m long, so x2= 0.65 m. View attachment 259642
Then the final position of the second cart would be (0.4+0.1+0.3+0.05)m ?

Edel Crine said:
Then the final position of the second cart would be (0.4+0.1+0.3+0.05)m ?
Looks good.

Let me give a shot with these stuffs! I appreciate for every help from all of you!
Now I think that I understand more than before!

What is system work?

System work is the amount of energy transferred to or from a system by an external force. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the system by the distance the system moves in the same direction as the force.

How is displacement of center of mass calculated?

The displacement of center of mass is calculated by finding the weighted average of the positions of all the individual components of a system. This can be done by multiplying the mass of each component by its distance from a reference point and then dividing the sum of these values by the total mass of the system.

What is the importance of calculating system work and displacement of center of mass?

Calculating system work and displacement of center of mass allows for a better understanding of the motion and energy of a system. It can also help in analyzing the stability and balance of an object or system.

What are some common units used for system work and displacement of center of mass?

The SI unit for both system work and displacement of center of mass is joules (J). Other commonly used units include foot-pounds (ft-lb) and newton-meters (N-m).

What are some real-life applications of calculating system work and displacement of center of mass?

Calculating system work and displacement of center of mass is important in fields such as physics, engineering, and biomechanics. It is used in designing structures, analyzing sports movements, and understanding the motion of objects in various systems.