Two Insulating Spheres in Each Other's Electric Field

In summary, the problem involves two insulating spheres with radii r1 and r2, masses m1 and m2, and charges -q1 and q2, released from rest with a distance d between their centers. The question asks for the velocities of each sphere when they collide, using conservation of energy and momentum. The solution involves calculating the potential energy gained when the spheres are moved apart, and setting it equal to the kinetic energy of the spheres at collision. However, treating the spheres as point charges may be incorrect and could be the reason for an incorrect answer.
faceoclock
Hi, I'd like to ask the good people of this forum for some help.
Here's a problem I've been working on for a while, and I'm seriously at my wit's end. I guess there's something I'm missing here...

Homework Statement

Two insulating spheres have radii r1 and r2, masses m1 and m2, and uniformly distributed charges -q1 and q2. They are released from rest when their centers are separated by a distance d. How fast is each moving when they collide? Suggestion: Consider conservation of energy and of linear momentum.

Homework Equations

I thought these were relevant:
Momentum=mv
Kinetic energy = 1/2(mv^2)
[tex]\Delta[/tex]U = -q[tex]\int[/tex]E dr

The Attempt at a Solution

First I solved for the potential energy that this system gains when the two spheres are moved apart:
[tex]\Delta[/tex]U = q1[tex]\int^{d}_{d-r1-r2}[/tex]E dr = k(q1)(q2)([tex]\frac{1}{d-r1-r2}[/tex] - 1/d)

I figured this is the amount of energy the spheres would have when they collide, so...
[tex]\Delta[/tex]U = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex](m1)v[tex]^{2}_{1}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex](m2)v[tex]^{2}_{2}[/tex]

From conservation of momentum, v2 = (m1/m2)v1 so subbing that into the above equation I got:
[tex]\Delta[/tex]U = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]m1v[tex]^{2}_{1}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex][tex]\frac{m^{2}_{1}}{m_{2}}[/tex]v[tex]^{2}_{1}[/tex]

So then I solved for v1 to get:

v1 = [tex]\sqrt{\frac{2kq_{1}q_{2}((1/(d-r1-r2)-(1/d))}{m_{1}+\frac{m^{2}_{1}}{m_{2}}}}[/tex]

And v2 can be figured out the same way. However, I know for a fact this isn't the right answer.

In closing
I'm don't really know what I did wrong, but I suspect it's because I treated the two spheres as point charges, and I'm not sure if I'm justified in doing that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Question was solved. Thanks a lot to everyone who took the time to read this :P

1. What are insulating spheres in each other's electric field?

Insulating spheres in each other's electric field refers to a situation where two spheres made of insulating material are placed close to each other, creating an electric field between them. The electric field is caused by the interaction of the charges on the surface of the spheres.

2. How do insulating spheres in each other's electric field behave?

The behavior of insulating spheres in each other's electric field depends on the charges present on the surface of the spheres. If the spheres have opposite charges, they will attract each other and move closer together. If the spheres have the same charge, they will repel each other and move farther apart.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric field between insulating spheres?

The strength of the electric field between insulating spheres is affected by several factors, including the distance between the spheres, the size and charge of the spheres, and the dielectric constant of the material between the spheres. The electric field is stronger when the spheres are closer together, have larger charges, or have a lower dielectric constant.

4. How can insulating spheres in each other's electric field be used in scientific experiments?

Insulating spheres in each other's electric field can be used in various scientific experiments to study the effects of electric fields on insulating materials. For example, they can be used to demonstrate the concept of electric force and to measure the dielectric constant of a material. They can also be used in particle accelerators to manipulate and study charged particles.

5. Are there any real-life applications of insulating spheres in each other's electric field?

Yes, there are several real-life applications of insulating spheres in each other's electric field. One example is in electrostatic precipitators, where charged spheres are used to remove particles from a gas stream. They are also used in electrostatic separation processes to separate particles based on their charge. Additionally, insulating spheres in electric fields are used in some medical devices, such as iontophoresis machines, to deliver medication through the skin.