Solving Two Lenses Problem: Ray Diagrams & Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the placement of an object and the formation of an image using convex lenses A and B. The focal lengths of the lenses are given and the lenses are assumed to be thin. The relation between the object distance u' for lens B and the image distance v' for lens A can be derived using the lens formula. The question also asks about the ray diagram and the derivation of the relation between u' and v'.
HarryHo90sHK

Homework Statement

Extracted from NSS Physics at Work Book 3A, a textbook published by Oxford University Press.
An object O is placed at distance u from the optical centre of convex lens A. The focal length of the lens is f1, where f1 > u. An image I' is formed.
(b) Another convex lens B is added in contact with lens A. The focal length of lens B is f2. The lenses are thin, such that the distance between the two optical centres is small compared to the object distance and the image distance. The image I' is acting as the object for lens B.
(i) What is the relation between the object distance u' for lens B and the image distance v' for lens A?
(ii) Hence write the equation which relates the image distance v with v' and f1.

Homework Equations

Lens Formula: 1/f = 1/u + 1/v

The Attempt at a Solution

Unable to find the solution.4. Model answer given

(b) (i) u' = -v'
(b) (ii) 1/f2 = 1/-v' + 1/v5. My question is...

What is the ray diagram with lenses A and B exactly like?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How is the relation between the object distance u' for lens B and the image distance v' for lens A derived?

What is the "Solving Two Lenses Problem"?

The "Solving Two Lenses Problem" refers to a common problem in optics where two lenses are placed in a system and the goal is to find the final image produced by the system.

What are ray diagrams and how are they used in solving two lenses problem?

Ray diagrams are a graphical representation of light rays that are used to analyze the behavior of light passing through lenses. They are used in solving two lenses problem to determine the position, size, and nature of the final image produced by the system.

What are the equations used in solving two lenses problem?

The two main equations used in solving two lenses problem are the thin lens equation and the magnification equation. The thin lens equation relates the focal length, object distance, and image distance of a lens, while the magnification equation relates the size of the object and the image produced by the lens.

What are the key assumptions made when using the thin lens equation?

The thin lens equation assumes that the lenses are thin, the rays of light are parallel to the optical axis, and the lenses are in air. It also assumes that the lenses are made of a material with a single refractive index and that the light rays do not undergo any significant refraction or diffraction.

What are some common challenges when solving two lenses problem?

Some common challenges when solving two lenses problem include accounting for the slight deviations from the ideal assumptions, dealing with non-parallel rays of light, and determining the correct sign conventions for the distances and focal lengths in the equations.