Two linear algebra questions - Vector geometry

In summary, the conversation revolved around a homework question that involved finding a vector that is perpendicular to two given vectors. The topic of cross products was brought up, but it was mentioned that it has not been covered in class yet. One solution method involved setting z1 as a convenient value and solving for x1 and y1. The conversation ended with a suggestion to try using z1=2 and commenting on the results.
ElliottG

Homework Statement

[URL]http://184.154.165.18/~devilthe/uploads/1321855187.png[/URL]

Homework Equations

No idea.

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright...so really no idea what to do here...never did any examples like this in class and have scoured over my notes for 2 hours now trying to figure this out...and can't lol.

I tried finding the vector UV and then finding a vector that is orthogonal to that with no success...

Homework Statement

[URL]http://184.154.165.18/~devilthe/uploads/1321923155.png[/URL]

Homework Equations

Included?

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Again, not much clue on what to do here...actually no clue at all :(

I know it sounds like I'm trying to freeload but I've already completed 7/9 of my other homework questions it's just these two that I have no idea how to do...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you guys covered cross products yet?

No we have not...I saw that on another site as an answer to this question but had no idea how they got the answer.

Let the vector you seek be [x1 y1 z1]
As it is perpendicular to [3 -10 4], by calculating the dot product
we can say 3.x1 -10.y1 + 4.z1 = 0
... and similarly for the second vector.

We now have 2 equations in 3 unknowns.
So let z1 be any convenient value, I chose z1 = 1.
Solve for x1 and y1.

Check that the resultant vector is perpendicular to both of the given vectors.

Thanks Nascent, got it!

Maybe then try it with z1=2, and comment on what you discover.

1. What is vector geometry?

Vector geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vectors and their properties. It involves using geometric concepts and techniques to understand and analyze vectors in a mathematical space.

2. What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar is a quantity that only has magnitude. In other words, a vector represents a physical quantity with both size and direction, while a scalar only represents the size of a quantity.

3. How do you perform vector addition and subtraction?

To add or subtract vectors, you add or subtract the corresponding components of the vectors. For example, to add two vectors a and b, you add their x-components, y-components, and z-components to get the resulting vector c=(ax+bx, ay+by, az+bz).

4. What is the dot product of two vectors?

The dot product, also known as the scalar product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as input and produces a scalar as output. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then adding them together. The dot product is used to measure the similarity between two vectors and is also used in many applications, such as physics and engineering.

5. How do you find the angle between two vectors?

To find the angle between two vectors, you can use the dot product formula, which states that the dot product of two vectors a and b is equal to the product of their magnitudes and the cosine of the angle between them. So, the angle between two vectors can be found by taking the inverse cosine of the dot product of the two vectors divided by the product of their magnitudes.